Do you feel lost in life? Do you feel lonely even when others are with you? Are you unable to express your feelings and emotions? Do you feel that life is passing you by and you’re just a silent spectator?
Are you feeling empty inside?
“The greatest tragedies in life is not untimely death, but to live a life of emptiness.” – Topsy Gift
You breathe, but you don’t feel alive. You exist, but you don’t live your life. Everything feels detached and lacks any meaning. The emptiness inside can be a dark, lonely place that you can’t describe or explain to anyone. You feel so alone and disconnected that the world around you stops making sense. Most of us struggle with feelings of emptiness from time to time and we don’t even understand why.
Truth is, life is a unique experience of complicated emotions. Our emotions impact our mindset, our motivations, and our quality of life. Hence, it is normal for us to experience intense emotions that leave us feeling empty and sucks out all the happiness and fullness of our lives.
Regardless of how successful, attractive and popular you are, there will be times when you will feel something is missing from your life. Something that is valuable to you. Sometimes these feelings of emptiness arise due to certain negative experiences or situations. However, most of the time it results from a lack of self-reflection and the urgent need for addressing deep problems within ourselves.
What emptiness feels like
“This world that I live in is empty and cold, the loneliness cuts me and tortures my soul.” – Waylon Jennings
Although it might be difficult to understand at first, when you feel empty and lost, you live your life in autopilot mode. You wake up, you wash, you eat, you go to work, you do your job, you mandatorily laugh with your coworkers during happy hours, you come home, you have your dinner, you Netflix and you sleep. The alarm rings the next morning and you repeat. You keep following your schedule like a good little robot.
You do everything you are required to do without feeling or thinking anything about it. Everything is routine. Everything is familiar.
Your robotic programming has taken over your human self and so now you are incapable of feeling any happiness, or sorrow for that matter, anymore. You ask yourself “what am I doing? Is this what my life is supposed to be? Do I even need this soulless life?”
Feeling empty in life can be devastating to your being and can affect you mentally, emotionally, and physically. If you’re going through this emotional ordeal, you will feel a void in your life and experience these inner feelings:
- You don’t understand yourself.
- You are unable to explain how you feel.
- You lack a sense of purpose.
- Your mind is dominated by negative thoughts.
- You constantly seek validation and approval from loved ones.
- You lack meaning in life.
- You are not sad or depressed, but you’re not happy or satisfied either.
- You feel like there’s a vacuum or black hole inside you.
Why you believe you feel empty
Many people around the world feel empty in life. However, most of us are unable to understand why we are engulfed with this overbearing feeling of emptiness. Hence, we start to develop some false beliefs regarding why we feel this way.
Most common false beliefs that we tell ourselves about why we feel empty are:
- I am unlovable.
- I am not as successful as I should be.
- I don’t make enough money.
- I don’t have a romantic partner.
- I am unsatisfied with my work.
- My romantic partner doesn’t love or care for me.
- My romantic partner doesn’t give me enough attention or stimulation.
- I am not physically intimate with my partner or anyone else.
- I have no one to have fun with.
- My life is boring and nothing is exciting.
- I don’t have enough friends or people who love me.