Self-love is an important attribute to have when it comes to being confident and happy about yourself. Dare I say that a little bit of narcissism is also acceptable? But that’s the thing, a little bit of narcissism is fine, not a lot of it. And if you have ever come across a cerebral narcissist, you know exactly what I mean by this statement.
There are many types of narcissists in this world, and one of them is the cerebral narcissist. The thing is, some narcissists can also be analytical, moody, introverted, and loves to read books, instead of always being self-absorbed, obsessed with their looks, and being a social climber.
So, what is a cerebral narcissist? Rather who is a cerebral narcissist and how do they function?
What Is A Cerebral Narcissist?
Cerebral narcissists are those individuals who fulfill their narcissistic supply by showing off their intellect and smartness, every chance they get. What makes them toxic and horrible people is the fact they put down other people if they think that they are not as smart as them.
They are extremely arrogant and egoistic about their intelligence and will not spare any opportunity to make you feel bad about yourself. Cerebral narcissists also display some typical traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), such as a sense of entitlement, absence of empathy, insensitivity, and grandiosity.
But why are they like this? What are the causes of cerebral narcissistic personality disorder? Listed below are a few potential causes:
- Parenting – If someone has been raised by an overprotective parent or a parent who always neglected them, tend to display narcissistic tendencies when they grow up. Also, if someone has been overly pampered and is a spoilt brat, they can also grow up to be a cerebral narcissist.
- Genetics – Chances are if someone’s parent/parents are narcissists, they will also grow up to be one. Narcissism genes can be passed down from parent to child.
- Neurobiology – Neurobiology can be defined as the science that focuses on the relationship between brain behavior and thinking, and an individual’s narcissistic tendencies can be a potential result of their neurobiological makeup.
Now, in order to understand cerebral narcissism better, you need to know the signs that give them away. Read on to know more.
7 Signs You Are Dealing With A Cerebral Narcissist
1. They always want to be the center of attention wherever they go.
Narcissists and a desperate need for attention always go hand in hand, and there’s nothing they won’t do to stay in the limelight. They have this constant need for attention, and without it, they feel like they are going crazy. If in any public or social event, they are not in the limelight, it enrages them.
They will try everything possible to make sure that the attention is on them all the time, be it by monopolizing conversations, or indulging in attention-seeking behaviors. Cerebral narcissists also tend to treat people who they consider to be ‘not that smart’ with a lot of contempt and insensitivity.
2. They are extremely egoistic and self-absorbed.
Now, this shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, because if you are dealing with a cerebral narcissist, a massive ego comes with the territory. And this massive ego of theirs is a result of their intelligence. It’s true that they are extremely intelligent human beings, but does that mean they have the right to be toxic individuals? Of course, not!
For them, they are the only ones who are intelligent and smart enough to exist in society, and anybody who is even slightly less intelligent than them doesn’t deserve any respect and acknowledgment from them. And worse still, you can’t even disagree with them because of their problematic thinking.