Here are some of the extra-sensory abilities they may have –
- Having a strong feeling completely based on intuition
- Accurately sensing emotions of other people
- Ability to know the future
- Experiencing physical pain and discomfort while making poor choices or wrong decisions
- Ability to see entities or shadows moving through their peripheral vision or indirect vision
However, it should be noted that research has not supported any of these claims, just like anything related to the supernatural.
“When you’re living so intensely in your head there isn’t any difference between what you imagine and what actually takes place. Therefore, you’re both omnipotent and powerless.” – Chris Kraus
In 1981, psychologists Sheryl C. Wilson and Theodore X. Barber discovered this specific trait in highly sensitive people. Their research found that about 4 percent of the population tend to be fantasy-prone. These individuals spend most of their time fantasizing about what they find captivating and interesting. Moreover, these types of HSPs are also highly prone to experiencing the paranormal. Most of these people are highly religious and have claimed to hear voices and have visions.
Some characteristics of fantasy prone people may include –
- Having imaginary friends as children
- Having psychic abilities
- Ability to see apparitions
- Experience imaginations as real
- Having vibrant and vivid sensory perceptions
- Ability to heal people
Similar to the abilities of the sensitivities, none of the above mentioned claims have been supported by studies. However, it is difficult to know what is real and what is imagination, especially for these individuals.
6. Electric Sensitive Person
In 1980, British researcher Michael Shallis conducted a survey of people who are electrically sensitive. It was found that most of the individuals who are highly sensitive to electricity are women.
The research discovered the following fascinating findings-
- 70% of the people surveyed suffered from allergies
- 70% of respondents were uncomfortable with bright lights and loud noises
- 60% of people could sense thunderstorms beforehand and felt physically ill
- 23% of respondents were struck by lightning
- 69% of the people had experiences with psychic phenomena
7. The Overexcitables
“Sensitive people either love deeply or they regret deeply. There really is no middle ground because they live in passionate extremes.” – Shannon L. Alder
When Polish psychologist Kazimierz Dabrowski conducted a study of gifted children, he discovered 5 aspects of high intensity where the kids were “super-sensitive” or “overexcitable”.
Here’s a quick look at the 5 areas of Overexcitabilities or gifted people –
- Psychomotor which includes impulsive behavior, sleeplessness, physical expression of emotions and nervous habits.
- Sensual includes acute senses, need for comfort, seeking pleasure, experiencing discomfort with certain textures and prone to allergies.
- Intellectual which includes theoretical thinking, deep curiosity and a tendency to ask questions all the time.
- Imaginational includes daydreaming, love for fantasy, vivid dreams and a love for poetry, drama and music.
- Emotional which includes timidness, shyness, anxiety, loneliness, strong memory for emotions, concern for others and emotional extremes.
“It is not the empath who is broken, it is society that has become dysfunctional and emotionally disabled. There is no shame in expressing your authentic feelings…Never be ashamed to let your tears shine a light in this world.” – Anthon St. Maarten
Empaths are perhaps the most widely known types of HSPs. These individuals are exceptionally sensitive to emotions, moods and different mental states of other people around them. Educational psychologist Dr. Michael Smith studied empathic sensitivity and discovered that about 5 percent of the global population can be categorized as empaths. Moreover, around 25 percent of HSPs are classed as empaths.
Abigail Marsh, psychology researcher and a professor at Georgetown University found that there are distinctive differences in the brains of empaths and people who are not. Empaths are mostly sensitive to scary visuals and faces as the amygdala experiences heightened activity as a response.
What type of highly sensitive person are you?
“Never apologize for being sensitive or emotional. It’s a sign that you have a big heart, and that you aren’t afraid to let others see it. Showing your emotions is a sign of strength.” – Brigitte Nicole