Empaths have a hard time dealing with toxicity and negative energy as it is, but when certain people carry negative residual energy and act as trauma triggers, it makes it all the more difficult for them to handle their emotions.
Residual energy is a trail left by a person’s moods and emotions. It can also be created when a conflict has occurred in a certain place.
How Does Dark Residual Energy Affect An Empath..?
Well, when left by a person, it can seep into their energy field and influence their thoughts and moods for days after being picked up. Which is obviously a problem if it is negative.
When filled with negative emotions, anyone and everyone can leave a trail of dark lingering energy. But those who affect the Empaths in the most painful ways are the people who act as Emotional Trauma Triggers (ETTs).
A trauma trigger is an event from the past that can trigger a reaction, such as anxiety or fear, in the present. But even residual energy, left by someone who caused you emotional pain in the past (or those who carry the same energy signature), can become an emotional trauma trigger.
How do you know if someone is an emotional trauma trigger?
Generally, the mere mention of an ETT’s name is enough to ignite an unpleasant emotional response. But the worst reaction happens when you have spent time with them and their residual energy has seeped into your aura.
Signs You Have Been Triggered
1. Your mind keeps going back to said person in a negative way.
2. You start re-living a long-forgotten injustice from your past.
3. You feel uninspired or lethargic.
4. It feels like you are experiencing a psychic attack.
5. You experience waves of bitterness, anger, or irritability (when you don’t normally carry those traits).
6. You feel dissatisfied or unfulfilled.
7. Your sleep is affected.
8. You don’t feel like your usual self.
9. You suffer from many niggling physical complaints.
ETTs feel like poison to the Empath. Their presence can cause physical and emotional reactions. And when their residual energy is undesirable, it throws the body and mind into disarray for days or weeks after.
Those who carry narcissistic traits (Read more on the Dark Side of Sensitive) are often the triggers, as are people who have the following behaviors:
1. Those who have huge issues, but pretend otherwise.
2. Those who tell the world how fantastic their life is, whilst insinuating everyone else’s is worthless.
3. Those who secretly harbor deep grudges.
4. Those who are selfish and think only of themselves.
5. Those who are passive-aggressive.
6. Those who are highly opinionated and won’t listen to other opinions.
7. Those who lie to make others wrong and themselves right.
8. The above traits often leave an overpowering trail of residual energy.
Not only does dark residual energy impact your moods and the way you feel, but it can also lead to a weakening of your aura, which in turn opens you up to pick up more.
You normally experience the residual energy from an ETT anything from a couple of hours up to a day or two after being in their presence. Because you are still energetically ‘connected’, you feel the impact until it is cleared.
Related: Top 10 Things That Weaken an Empath
Why Does This Happen?
The Empath’s aura (energy field or energy body), which both surrounds and penetrates the body, is notoriously permeable. This auric permeability causes many problems, and the longer it is left unchecked the more damage it causes.
When the aura becomes damaged, one is at risk of developing leaky aura syndrome. This leaves an Empath energetically open and susceptible to picking up other people’s “stuff”, it also plays havoc with the energy system and chakras.