Quotes by Rumi, his verses, and his poetry have always inspired me and taught me great lessons in life, ones they don’t teach you in school. It’s moved me to the depths of my soul. Quotes from Rumi have made me realize and understand so many of life’s truths that sometimes when I sit to let his words soak in, I am astounded by what his work reveals.
You can read the same poetry a hundred times over and each time you read life’s lessons from Rumi you will come to understand a new layer of the wisdom it offers. A man whose name and words need to be passed down for generations to come.
“Study me as much as you like, you will not know me, for I differ in a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see.” ~ Rumi
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī, also known as Rumi, was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic who, in my personal perspective, wrote some of the most soul-touching and most profound words that were ever written in the history of poetry.
It’s hard to believe how so much wisdom and so much power can be passed down to us in the form of mere words. It leaves me wondering about the power of words and how legends like Rumi were able to manifest its power to shed light on those who need it.
We have collected a few Rumi quotes that will help you understand life better, and has the power to inspire and empower you to live a more authentic, beautiful, loving, and meaningful life.
70 Rumi Quotes That Will Help You Understand Life Better
1.“You were born with potential. You were born with goodness and trust. You were born with ideals and dreams. You were born with greatness. You were born with wings. You are not meant for crawling, so don’t. You have wings. Learn to use them and fly.”
2. “You sit here for days saying, This is strange business. You’re the strange business. You have the energy of the sun in you, but you keep knotting it up at the base of your spine. You’re some weird kind of gold that wants to stay melted in the furnace, so you won’t have to become coins.”
3. “Why should I stay at the bottom of a well when a strong rope is in my hand?”
4. “Become the sky. Take an axe to the prison wall. Escape.”
5. “Like a shadow, I am and I am not.”
6. “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.”
7. “When you go through a hard period, When everything seems to oppose you, … When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute, NEVER GIVE UP! Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
8. “Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.”
9. “Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.”