Just as intelligence can be measured with an IQ, empathy can also be assessed with an Empathy Quotient (EQ).
Empathy is when you care about others in both sadness and joy.
It is a skill that can be developed through mindful awareness. To avoid empathy overload, it’s important to learn to center and protect yourself and practice on-going self-care.
The world needs more empathic leaders, parents and people in every profession. Empathy allows you to understand where another person is coming from even if you don’t agree with them. It bridges differences and opens communication with others.
Take the following quiz adapted from The Empath’s Survival Guide to determine your EQ:
What is Your Empathy Quotient (EQ)?
- Are you sensitive to others, care about them, and want to help?
- Do you listen with your heart not just your head?
- Can you hold space for others to express their people’s emotions?
- Can you listen without needing to fix someone’s problem immediately?
- Are you capable of the give and take of intimate relationships?
- Are you intuitive and sensitive to other’s needs?
- Do you care about the greater good, and the wellbeing of Earth?
If you answered “yes” to four to six questions you have an extremely high empathy quotient
Responding “yes” to four to six questions you have a high EQ
Responding “yes” to three to five questions you have a moderate EQ
Responding “yes” to one to two questions you have a lower EQ
No matter what your EQ is at this point, it’s always possible to develop more empathy and to protect and center yourself if you are experiencing empathy overload or if you’re an empath who absorbs the stress of the world. More information in my book “The Empath’s Survival Guide” and “The Empath’s Survival Guide” online course.” www.drjudithorloff.com
Become a Contributor at The Minds Journal
Originally appeared on Magical Recipes Online
You may also like
- 10 Strange Behaviors You’ll Notice Only In And Around An Authentic Empath
- The Mirror Effect Of The Empath: Why Some People Dislike You Instantly
- 5 Ways Empaths Can Protect Themselves from Toxic Energy
- 6 Struggles That An Empath Faces Daily (That Most People Never Notice)