We all want to be bold but what stops us is the thought – “what will society think”. Right? But there was a lady, Anais Nin – who turned popular for being fiercely honest about her private life. She is a French-Cuban American diarist, essayist, novelist, and writer of short stories and erotica. And is known as one of the great writers of the 20th century. Here are Anais Nin Quotes that reflect her bold and intimate voice.
She shared honest and explicit accounts of her love affairs with famous authors and other personal matters in her many novels, stories and erotica. Critics admire her as one of the finest writers of female erotica. She was one of the first women known to explore the realm of erotic writing to the fullest. And is famous as a prominent woman in the modern West known to write erotica. Anais was much ahead of her time, unashamedly feminine and lived her life deeply. Her thoughts, ideas and perspective towards life will leave you surprised.
Read on popular Anais Nin Quotes to gain inspiring insights on life, love, relationship, travel, self-discovery, self-development, and death.
1. “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anais Nin
2. “We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” ― Anaïs Nin
3. “I am only responsible for my own heart, you offered yours up for the smashing my darling. Only a fool would give out such a vital organ” ― Anais Nin
4. “I’m restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again.” ― Anaïs Nin
5. “I hate men who are afraid of women’s strength.” ― Anaïs Nin
6. “The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself.”― Anaïs Nin
7. “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as the reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn’t impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.” ― Anais Nin
8. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.” ― Anais Nin
9. “Luxury is not a necessity to me, but beautiful and good things are.” ― Anais Nin
10. “We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.” ― Anais Nin
11. Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. – Anais Nin
12. “I am lonely, yet not everybody will do. I don’t know why, some people fill the gaps and others emphasize my loneliness. In reality, those who satisfy me are those who simply allow me to live with my ”idea of them.” ― Anais Nin
13. “Do not seek the because – in love there is no because, no reason, no explanation, no solutions.” ― Anaïs Nin
14. “People living deeply have no fear of death.” ― Anaïs Nin
15. “When one is pretending, the entire body revolts.” ― Anaïs Nin
16. “She lacks confidence, she craves admiration insatiably. She lives on the reflections of herself in the eyes of others. She does not dare to be herself.” ― Anais Nin
17. “We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.” ― Anais Nin
18.“The role of a writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable to say.” ― Anais Nin