4. I’ve spent most of my life running away from myself.” – Marilyn Monroe
5. “No matter where life takes me, you’ll find me with a smile. Presumed to be happy, always laughing like a child. I never thought life could be this sweet! It’s got me cheesing from cheek to cheek!” ― Mac Miller
6. “Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom…is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go.” ― Anthony Bourdain
7. “Success isn’t what makes you happy. It really isn’t. Success is doing what makes you happy and doing good work and hopefully having a fruitful life. If I’ve felt like I’ve done good work, that makes me happy.” ― Philip Seymour Hoffman
8. “There wasn’t a key moment when I knew I wanted to quit.” ― Chris Cornell
9. “I used to think that you could get to a level of success where the laws of the universe didn’t apply. But they do. It’s still life on life’s terms, not on movie-star terms. I still have to work at relationships. I still have to work on my weight and some of my other demons.”― Chris Farley
The excuse of ‘he/she didn’t look depressed’ needs to come to an end.
It’s essential to occasionally check on people that matter to you. Depression is a battle that can’t be fought alone. It’s more than just a bout of the blues. Depression isn’t a weakness that you can simply “snap out” of.
Reach out to those who are in need of help and hope.
“A misconception of depression is that you can just snap out of it or that something happened to cause you to feel depressed,” says Kathryn Moore, Ph.D., a psychologist at Providence Saint John’s Child and Family Development Center in Santa Monica, California.
“When you are clinically depressed, you feel very sad or hopeless for no external reason. Depression can be more of low-grade chronic unhappiness with life, or it can be intense feelings of hopelessness and negative thoughts about yourself and your life,” she adds.
It takes time, effort, and care from both sides to heal a person suffering from depression. Some cases of depression may require long-term treatment with a proper support system. But don’t get discouraged. Most people with depression feel better with medication, psychotherapy, or both. There’s always hope.
Depression doesn’t discriminate.
Though the degree of intensity may vary, we all go through it. Depression doesn’t just hit the ‘kids with bad upbringings’. You can have a very privileged background with parents who love you unconditionally, parents who give you anything and everything you could want. But some bad things can happen, planting a seed for you to carry for life. We’re all in this together and we are all responsible for ourselves and the people around us.
There is absolutely no way to tell what someone is fighting other than engaging in a simple yet meaningful conversation. Ask your best friend, your colleague, or the stranger next to you how they are doing in a genuine manner. Check up on those you are close to, because it’s a cold world out there and some people want to just leave.
Life is not always beautiful, but sometimes it’s extraordinary, and it’s definitely worth sticking around for. I know not everyone can be saved. But if we can save even one person, I still think we’re doing the best we possibly can.