32 Cool And Amazing Facts About Left Handed People

32 Cool and Amazing Facts about Left Handed People

Did you know that nearly 10 to 12% of the world population is left-handed? Did you know that left handed people tend to be more independent, creative, adaptive and flexible because of facing the world that is largely designed for right-handed people? Read some more facts about left handed people.

Scientists are not really sure of the exact reason behind people being left handed but research points to a complex collaboration of genetics and environment that can lead to some people being lefties.

Let’s find out some other really cool and unique facts about Left handed people:

Facts Left Handed People infographics

1) Their right part of the brain is dominant.

The left side of the brain is logical and analytical and the right side of the brain is creative and emotional. The right part of the brain is more dominant in the left handed people and therefore they tend to be more creative and artistic in their disposition.

Read : Left Brain Vs. Right Brain: Some Eye Opening Insights

2) They are pro at multitasking.

Lefties tend to be more independent and flexible as they learn to adapt to the world largely made for the right-handers.

In 2008,  Illinois Research Consortium collected a large data and found that when given two tasks to complete simultaneously, lefties performed better than righties. Lefthanders consider the whole problem  and use pattern matching to try and solve. On the other hand, the righthanders try to solve the problem breaking them down into parts and analysing each piece one at a time.

In one study by Dr. Nick Cherbuin, left handed people seem to talk while driving, pilot jet fighters and play fast-paced video games. According to the researcher, this is associated with conversations between the left and right sides of the brain happening more quickly in left-handed people when compared with their right-handed peers.

3) They have a creative streak but they aren’t more creative than right-handed people.

Psychologists suggest that living in a world designed for right-handed people makes lefties come up with independent thinking and creative solutions. Also, the right part of the brain that deals in creativity and expressing emotions is more dominant in the lefties that give them a creative streak.

A 2007 study claims that  painters and musicians were more likely to be left handers. In fact, a lot of famous artists and celebrities like Leonardo Da Vinci, Julia Roberts, Keanu Reeves, Tom Cruise, Eminem, Justin Beiber, Angelina Jolie, Jim Carrey, Lady Gaga are lefties.

Professor Mike Nicholls – who is himself left-handed – studied 5,000 five-year-olds and examined their performance at school and their feedback from teachers concluded that “Left-handers tend to do worse as a group than right-handers.” According to him, reduced cognitive ability of lefties was small but similar to the “negative outcomes” of being born prematurely.

4) The genes inherited by people account for just 25% of the chance of being left-handed

There is only 25% chance of being left-handed through inherited genes. So, even twins with 100% identical genes don’t necessarily have same handedness.

In a study by the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, more than 50,000 identical twins were observed and analyzed. Researchers found that inherited genes only account for a 25% chances of being a left-handed person. The other 75% is attributed to environmental factors

5) Left-handed athletes have an advantage over their opponents.

left handed atheletes

Be it golf, tennis, swimming or boxing they excel everywhere. Golf champ Phil Mickelson, Tennis rockstar Roger Federer, boxing legend Oscar de la Hoya are all lefties. In fact, almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties.

According to MSNBC review of an interesting book The puzzle of left-handedness by Rik Smits, left-handers may have an advantage in games involving two opponents facing each other like boxing or tennis because they get more opportunities to practice against right-handed opponents than vice versa since righties are so much more in number.

6) They can see underwater better than right-handers.

According to neurologists lefties seem to adjust to underwater vision more readily than righties. However, there is a lack of sufficient scientifica evidence to back this fact. 

7) They hit the puberty late.

Lefties tend to reach puberty 4-5 months later than righties. This is why male left-handers seem to have a trouble growing beard. However, there is no strong research evdidence to back this fact. 

8) They are more likely to suffer from insomnia.

Left-handers are more likely to suffer from sleep deprivation due to  Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD). It spoils the quality of their slumber as they tend to move their limbs involuntarily during sleep. This is why they kick people in their bed. According to one study, 69% of right-handed participants had bilateral limb movements compared to 94% of left handed patients! 

Read : Did You Know? Top 20 Most Amazing Facts

4 thoughts on “32 Cool And Amazing Facts About Left Handed People”

  1. Phil Mickelson is not a lefty. He is only left handed because his father, also a golfer and a righty taught his son to play the game by having him mirror a right handed swing as a lefty. Mickelson is otherwise a righty.

  2. I am left handed and I participated in a handedness study many years ago. The person conducting the study would ask you to do things, such as putting pegs in holes, with your left hand and then your right hand.

    I was surprised that I was able to work equally well with either hand. The study conductor told me that that was not unusual, and that lefties tend to be more ambidextrous than not. I started playing stringed instruments in my teens and, from the beginning, I played right-handed. This was a good thing for me since left-handed instruments are not manufactured in nearly the quantities as right-handed ones.

Comments are closed.

Scroll to Top