Do you feel stressed and burnt out? Are you unable to get a good night’s sleep? Do you give priority to other things over your health and well-being? If yes, then you are not taking good care of yourself. Lack of effective self-care can not only affect your body but also impact your mental and emotional health adversely. Here we are going to dive into the signs that you are not taking good care of yourself and what to do about it.
“Self-care is never a selfish act-it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
Once you put yourself first, you’ll be able to get more done.
By now, you’ve heard of self-care so the question is: why aren’t you doing it?
Yes, I know, you have a million things to do. You aren’t sure if you’ll ever get them done, but you are sure going to try. This could come with a cost. And that cost is you.
So, why don’t you take care of yourself?
Nobody can do it all. But, you are led to believe that you can.
Too often, you worry about others and try to take care of them — but you don’t worry about yourself.
It’s alright to chip away at your to-do list. Do a little today and then a little tomorrow, and so on. Make sure you listen to your body and take breaks when you need to.
The good news is you can learn how to take care of yourself and self-care ideas are ready and available for you.
But, first, you need to look for the 10 signs you are not taking good care of yourself:
1. You get sick a lot.
2. You find yourself snapping for no reason, and are easily frustrated in your relationship.
3. You are surprised at how easily frustrated you get. You are worried the wrong people are taking the hit.
4. Your friends and loved ones are pulling away from you.
5. You rely on caffeine, painkillers, wine or some other substance to get you through the day.
6. You dread going to work. You are starting to abandon projects or give them little attention.
7. You are fatigued, and can’t seem to snap out of it.
8. You’re on edge and worry all the time. You feel squeezed from all angles.
9. You can’t remember the last time you treated yourself to anything.
10. You don’t feel creative and are no longer trying new things.
If you didn’t say “yes” to any of these things, then good for you — you’ve mastered the art of self-care!
This is not an easy thing to do.
But, if you said “yes” to one of these things, then you aren’t worried about yourself enough nor taking very good care of yourself.
I think way too many people say “yes” to this list.
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
You live in a fast-paced society and are told to do more. That’s what you need to do to get ahead. But, this leaves you feeling empty and like it’s never enough.
To start taking care of yourself now, here are 5 important self-care tips and activities to apply to your life.
1. Start your day with mindfulness
I start every day with 10-15 minutes of mindfulness. This helps me clear my mind and get ready for the day. Before I started this, I always woke up worrying about what I had to do that day and if I would have enough time to get it all done.