“The happiest conversation is that of which nothing is distinctly remembered, but a general effect of pleasing impression.” – Samuel Johnson
Imagine you have just got an opportunity to talk to your crush or a potential customer for the sales pitch and you say something weird or silly or go for extreme political debate that led to a bad first impression. Forget about a memorable conversation, the person would never want to meet you again. The result is – REGRET. Now, this is where conversation starters come in handy.
We have all had an experience of talking to that person who is easygoing, can talk about any topic irrespective of your age, and gender, make you feel comfortable and finally leave you smiling. Now, this is the art of conversation. Such people have a knack for good communication and you will always be interested to talk more and spend time with them. You may also end up falling in love with that cool girl or guy.
You need good communication skills to modify an ordinary topic into something that is interesting, engaging, and enjoyable. Such discussions are memorable and open opportunities to connect with potential partners or business referrals.
But, that happens when you have a goal in your mind. It can be anything dating, selling your new products, sharing experience, extracting new ideas for your upcoming presentation, just have fun, know about new investment ideas, or anything else.
Think about why millions of people watch TEDx Talks. What keeps us hooked on till the end?
Besides good verbal communication skills, you do need strong non-verbal cues such as appealing body language and facial expression. Cracking a funny joke with a serious expression doesn’t make sense. Right? Your smile, tone of speech, eyebrows, and eye contact also add to the dazzling conversation.
If you want to come off as an interesting person instantly, you must master the art of conversation.
Read on to know the traits of good and bad conversations in any situation and you will never struggle to make new connections or build successful relationships.
Best conversation starters to leave a pleasing impression on anyone
1) Conversation starters to socialize with strangers –
1. What’s the last new skill you learned?
2. What’s keeping you busy lately?
3. What do you think about this party?
4. What’s something you’re good at that would surprise people?
5. What brings you to this city?
- Be relaxed.
- Mix work and play.
- Keep the topics lighter.
- Don’t dominate the conversation.
- Encourage reciprocity.
2) Conversation starters for a social event –
1. Why did you choose this venue?
2. Do you have a signature drink?
3. How was your trip to Australia?
4. Being an entrepreneur with a family, how do you attain work-life balance so well? Can you give me some ideas?
5. Are you looking forward to anything in the next few weeks?
- Avoid serious topics.
- Keep smiling and be yourself.
- Think of sales opportunities without directly talking about business or job.
- Ask questions to know more people quickly.
- Have a good story to tell.
3) Conversation starters for conference –
1. If you were running this conference, what would be your presentation topic?
2. Have you heard this speaker before?
3. If you could meet one speaker from this event, who would it be?
4. What was the most interesting part of the conference?
5. Do you think the IT industry needs more conferences like this?
- Ask thought-provoking questions.
- Ask what they have learned from the event.
- Know other people’s objectives.
- Talk about engaging ideas.
- Maintain a friendly attitude.
4) Conversation starters for dating –
1. What is going great in your life right now?
2. If you got a free ticket to anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would it be?
3. What’s your favorite Netflix//television series?
4. What is something I would have never guess about you?
5. What’s your dream job?