The United States of America owes a lot to Thomas Jefferson, who is one of the most iconic figures of individual rights and democracy. This article will boast of all the noteworthy and iconic Thomas Jefferson quotes there are, that will make you feel proud to be an American.
Just like Benjamin Franklin and George Washington, Thomas Jefferson was one of the key figures in the successful American Revolution against the British empire. His name will be remembered for years to come! He was one of the key Founding Fathers, who served as the 3rd President of America and was also the principal author of the Declaration of Independence.
Despite the time and age he lived in, his opinions and views were incredibly insightful, open-minded, and progressive, which are relevant even today. His ideologies were important and significant then, and they are still important and significant now.
We have compiled a list of the best Thomas Jefferson quotes for you to read and enjoy. Read on to know more about some of the most iconic and famous Thomas Jefferson quotes there are.
50+ Inspirational Thomas Jefferson Quotes
Thomas Jefferson Quotes On Freedom And Liberty –
1. “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.”
2. “Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.”
3. “Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government.”
4. “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.”
5. “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
6. “It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
7. “When the representative body have lost the confidence of their constituents when they have notoriously made sale of their most valuable rights when they have assumed to themselves powers which the people never put into their hands, then indeed their continuing in office becomes dangerous to the state.”
8. “Liberty is the great parent of science and of virtue; and a nation will be great in both in proportion as it is free.”
9. “The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.”
10. “Take not from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned.”
Thomas Jefferson Quotes On Success –
11. “Be polite to all, but intimate with few.”
12. “Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it.”
13. “I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led.”
14. “Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or more valuable possession than time.”
15. “If you want something you’ve never had you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.”
16. “Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.”
17. “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.”
18. “Don’t talk about what you have done or what you are going to do.”
19. “Take care of your cents: dollars will take care of themselves.”
20. “I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.”