Do you need some words of encouragement to let go of the anger and bitterness of the past? Then read through these quotes about forgiveness.
Lack of forgiveness takes a hold of your life and it comes in many forms such as breakups, trauma from family, or betrayal of any kind. This can easily lead to resentment taking root in your heart.
It’s true that choosing to forgive might be an incredibly difficult effort, but doing so will lead to a happier and more satisfying life. It’s crucial to realize that choosing to forgive doesn’t mean you’re downplaying or justifying the hurt someone has caused you; rather, you’re making room for true joy in your mind and heart.
If you find yourself wondering where to begin, these sad, inspiring, funny quotes about forgiveness and moving on are sure to inspire you and will take you on a journey of compassion.
Here Are 30+ Best Quotes About Forgiveness and Love
Let go of grudges and bitterness with this inspiring, sad yet funny quotes about forgiveness!
1. “Forgiveness is just another name for Freedom.” – Byron Katie.
2. “There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.” – Bryant H. McGill
3. “You can forgive someone and yet not want anything to do with them. People need to understand that forgiveness is for past reconciliation and not for future consideration.”
4. “If we really want to love, we must learn how to forgive.” – Mother Teresa
5. Love is an act of endless forgiveness. Forgiveness is me giving up my right to hurt you for hurting me. Forgiveness is the final act of love. — Reinhold Niebuhr
6. “Forgiveness is not weak. It takes courage to face and overcome powerful emotions.” – Desmond Tutu
7. Remember: When you forgive you heal and when you let go, you grow.
8. “Mistakes are always forgivable if one has the courage to admit them.” – Bruce Lee
9. Forgiveness doesn’t excuse their behavior. Forgiveness prevents their behavior from destroying your heart.
10. “Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.” William Arthur Ward
11. “Forgive yourself for not knowing better at the time. Forgive yourself for giving away your power. Forgive yourself for past behaviors. Forgive yourself for the survival patterns and traits you picked up while enduring trauma. Forgive yourself for being who you needed to be.”
12. “Without forgiveness, life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.” – Roberto Assagioli
13. It’s easier to forgive than to forget. Forgiveness doesn’t hold us hostage. to the present or future. Forgetting is like a dark box hidden until they do it again.– Debra Pry
14. “I think the first step is to understand that forgiveness does not exonerate the perpetrator. Forgiveness liberates the victim. It’s a gift you give yourself.” – T.D Jakes
15. It’s okay to forgive people and still deny them access to you. – R. H. Sin
16. “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” – Lewis B. Smedes
17. Forgiveness is giving up hope for a better past. – Lily Tomlin
18. “Never forget the nine most important words of any family: I love you. You are beautiful. Please forgive me.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
19. Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know until you lived through it. Honor your path. Trust your journey. Learn, grow, evolve, become, heal. – Creig Crippen
Some Famous Quotes About Forgiveness
20. “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.” – Maya Angelou
21. “I forgive you. Not for you, but for me. Because like chains shackling me to the past I will no longer pollute my heart with bitterness, fear, distrust, or anger. I forgive you because hate is just another way of holding on, and you don’t belong here anymore.” – Beau Taplin
22. “Forgiveness is a powerful expression of the love within our soul.” – Anthony Douglas
23. The act of forgiveness takes place in our mind. It really has nothing to do with the other person. – Louise Hay
24. “How unhappy is he who cannot forgive himself.” – Publilius Syrus
25. “We need to forgive ourselves For all the things we didn’t do. All the things we should have done. You can’t get stuck on the regrets of what should have happened. – Mitch Albom”
26. “We win by tenderness. We conquer by forgiveness.” – Frederick William Robertson
Movie Quotes About Forgiveness
27. “Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear. That is why it is such a powerful weapon.” – Nelson Mandela, Invictus
28. “When you forgive, you love. And when you love, God’s light shines through you.” – Ron Franz, Into the Wild
29. “Did you ever hear the philosophy that once a man admits he is wrong, he is immediately forgiven for all wrongdoings?” – Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
30. “Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.” – Paul Boese
31. “Forgiveness is a reflection of loving yourself enough to move on.” — Dr. Steve Maraboli
32. “I think there are two kinds of forgiveness, the kind that when you forgive you’re also giving them another chance, or the kind where you forgive, but move on without them. Use them both wisely.” – Unknown
33. “Forgiveness is healing… especially forgiving yourself.” — Alyson Noel, Evermore
34. I am terribly sorry if you don’t like my harsh honesty. But, I don’t like your sugar-coated bullshit either.
So, did you find these forgiveness quotes to be inspiring and helpful? If yes, then share your thoughts in the comments below!