At some point in our lives we all wonder if we have made the right decisions, if our life is heading in the right direction, or if we even know what the right direction is.
While it can be scary to wonder do not worry you are not alone. As I said we have all faced this dilemma at one time or another. Some of us have even faced it more than once.
There are many changes in life, some good some not so good, those changes can cause us stress and make us wonder how did I get here, where is life taking me.
So how can we know if we are moving in the right direction in life or not? We have put together some indications that can help you realize that you are moving in the right direction.
What are these indicators?
- Trust in yourself. You have learned to trust yourself and your instincts. This allows you to make decisions without asking everyone you know for advice such as if it were you or what do you think I should do. This trust in yourself is a great way to know that you are moving in the right direction for your life.
- You are growing out of the old, changing friends and likes. Sometimes having the same friends all your life is not a good thing as they hold you in the same patterns you have always been in. If your friends are changing and your patterns of doing things are changing you can be sure you are growing and heading in the right direction for life.
- Stop over analyzing, there comes a point when you must stop analyzing and make a decision. When you start analyzing ask yourself, is this truly something I need to analyze or is it a way for me to not try something new or follow a passion I have because I am afraid of failing. There is nothing wrong with failing, at least you tried, learn from it and try again.
- Get out of your comfort zone, do things that scare you just a little. An example, you may not be comfortable talking to strangers, try it for a day. You may find you meet new friends. Doing things that are not in your comfort zone you may expand your possibilities and shift the way you think.
- Stop using your past a crutch. The past is not a crutch so don’t use it as such; instead use it as a launch pad for your future life. Instead of saying I lost this or that, say because I lost this or that it made me stronger, now I can do things I didn’t realize I could do before. It can motivate you to do things you may think are not possible.
- Focus on your beliefs and strengths. We all have a set of beliefs; strengths that help us deal with the ups and downs of life. Our core values as we call our beliefs help define how we live our life and where we want it to go. For some they are not sure what their core values are and if you by chance are not sure, list on a piece of paper values that resonate with you such as loyalty, integrity, honesty, working for what you have, etc. Focus on those values as you move forward in life and you will be moving in the right direction.
- Stop trying so hard allow things to come to you. Sometimes we try too hard to make things happen to put us on the right path or in the right direction of life but too often the harder we try to make things work the less they do. Take a step back, take a deep breath and relax, let things come to you in their own time.
- Stop comparing yourself to everyone else. You are you not everyone else. What is right for others is not necessarily right for you. Not everyone reaches their right path or their goals at the same time. Just because Jill owns a house at the age of 22 does not mean you have to own a house at 22, you may not own a house until your 32 and that is ok.
- You are appreciative and happy with what you have. We do not all need the same things in life. Just because Jill has a $300,000.00 home does not mean that you need the same thing, an $89,000.00 home would be perfect for you. You know the difference between wanting and needing when it comes to material things.
- You know that you need balance and seek it daily. Being successful is great but if you do not take time to kick back and relax then you are not balanced. With balance comes happiness, so if your life is well balanced you can be sure you are on the right path.
- You have realized that money and material things do not bring happiness. Happiness comes from within, from being happy with the journey between point a and point b. This definitely means you are on the right track for your life and moving forward.
- You set goals and reach them. Both short term daily goals and long term goals for life to become a better person. When you look in the mirror knowing that you reached your goal for the day you are not only happy but proud of yourself and realize that you can live up to your own standards.
- You never stop learning, when you learn something new each day you stay in the game and say young instead of becoming old. It is never too late to learn something new.
You can trust that as you reach each indicator and that you’re happy you’re on the right path for journey in life.