A friend is not there to bail you out, a friend is only there to listen. But when I listen to my friends, and I listen to people, I listen to them with empathy. But also there’s a phrase that goes through my head;
Not my problem.
It doesn’t mean I don’t feel for them, but I am not going to enable their behavior that got them to the level that they’re at.
And that’s what we do. When we give money to somebody who continues to borrow and never pays back, we’re just enabling them. When we help somebody out with another job interview but they never seem to show up, or they always seem to screw it up, we’re just enabling their bad behavior. So you need to take the realm of it’s not my problem.
Empathy and compassion is great. You can’t bail people out of their life mess.
Take that and learn from it.
Become a Contributor at The Minds Journal
Written by David Wygant
Originally appeared on DavidWygnant.com
In 2018, dating is more competitive than it’s ever been — download this free report to learn 6 proven skills to stand apart & succeed in the modern dating world.
You may also like
- Toxic Friends According to Each Zodiac Sign
- 10 Signs of Toxic and Narcissistic Friends – by Shahida Arabi
- Signs You Have A Toxic Parent and How To Deal With It
- 9 Types of Toxic People That Will Drain Your Energy: You Must Avoid Them At All Costs
- Why It’s Okay To Cut Toxic Family Members Out of Your Life