I have written countless articles on ways to make women feel more seen, heard, loved, and appreciated.
As many readers have expressed a desire to hear the male equivalent, I figured it’s time to fulfill those requests.
I don’t feel like it’s talked about enough, but men respond to praise and appreciation just as much as women do. In many cases, possibly even more so.
Whatever the reason, women tend to get the lion’s share of verbal praise when it comes to how they look and how they make men feel.
Case in point, I can name ten songs off the top of my head that is solely about how attractive women are (inside and out) and I can’t even name five about men without really digging for them.
Some of these I heard as requests from the men who asked me to write this article, others are things that my male clients have often mentioned they felt insecure about in their relationships, and a smaller portion have come from my personal dating history.
So without further ado, here are six kinds of compliments that men would love to hear more often.
1. Compliments that show that you believe in him
One of the biggest things that makes a guy melt is when his partner supports him and believes in him. This is one of the most consistent things that I heard from my male readers when I went to them regarding writing this article.
One of my clients said, “When she says any variation of ‘I believe in you’ I feel like a superhero who can achieve anything”.
– I believe in you.
– I love how driven you are.
– Whatever you put your mind to, I know you’ll be able to achieve it. You always have.
– Of course people want to work with you/for you… people trust you and your abilities. As they should. You’re amazing at what you do.
– Of course you got a raise/that new job. You’re talented, hard working, and everyone knows it. I’m so proud of you.
– You’ve accomplished so much in your life already. I’m sure you’ll continue to go on to do many more great things. You’ll make the most of any situation that comes your way.
2. Body and appearance-specific compliments
While men might not get as much body shaming marketing as the average woman does in western society, guys are still insecure about certain elements of their physical appearance.
Besides, every person (regardless of gender) likes knowing that their partner finds them aesthetically pleasing. Whether it’s his arms, hands, eyes, thighs, or private parts that are on the receiving end of the compliment, guys aren’t too picky.
Here are some examples of compliments that my male readers said touched their heart:
– You look so handsome.
– Wow… you weren’t kidding when you said you had been working out. Look at you!
– You look extra manly today. I like it.
– You look so handsome in that suit/tie/outfit!
– I love being wrapped up in your sexy arms.
– You look beautiful when you laugh.
– You look beautiful when you cry.
– You always look so handsome… even when you’ve just woken up and your hair is all messy.
3. Compliments that acknowledge his efforts
Everyone likes to be recognized for the effort that they put into their relationship.
Show him that you appreciate what he does for you. Even the simplest things. Notice and recognize it all. Whenever you appreciate something out loud, you tend to get more of it. And even if you don’t, you still get to make him feel loved.
Whether he took out the garbage, replaced the light bulb, or did the dishes is irrelevant… what matters is that you recognize him for his acts of service every now and then.
– You’re so good to me.
– Thank you so much for cooking for me, love. I really appreciate it. And this is delicious!
– You can fix anything, can’t you?