Being an old soul in the modern world can be daunting. Here are some short old soul quotes for those people who are wise beyond their age.
Calm, insightful and wise beyond their years, the Old Soul perceives the world with ancient eyes, feels the world with an ancient heart, and comprehends the world with an ancient soul.
Their inner solitude and increasing detachment from the transitory world is precisely what makes them great prophetic voices in the wilderness, and illuminating lanterns in the dark.
Most of us have met at least one Old Soul during our lifetimes. These are the enlightening people who teach us lessons, lead by example and exhibit unending patience and wisdom.
Some of us even feel old in soul, as we quietly tread our solitary paths, seeking for spiritual wholeness and fulfillment, while at the same time becoming increasingly distanced from the physical plane.
Today, in this article, I want to share with you a compilation of over 35 old soul quotes from a variety of historical, and modern-day Old Souls. My hopes are that their thoughts, captured in brief sentences throughout time, will stir up the profoundest realizations within you, or at the very least, cause a spark of thought to erupt inside of you.
35+ Deep Old Soul Quotes And Sayings
1. In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on. ~ Robert Frost
2. Forever is composed of nows. ~ Emily Dickinson
3. Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges. ~ Carlos Castaneda
4. In order to create there must be a dynamic force, and what force is more potent than love? ~ Igor Stravinsky
5. I’m a believer in belief. Faith is something that works – it causes people to do things, it has results. It’s an intangible, indefinable, very real thing. And it moves people, sometimes to atrocity. And sometimes to survival. ~ Tommy Lee Jones
6. The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time. ~ James Taylor
7. I have always been resistant to doctrine, and any spirituality I had experienced thus far in my life had been much more abstract and not aligned with any recognized religion. For me, the most trustworthy vehicle for spirituality had always proven to be music. It cannot be manipulated, or politicized, and when it is, that becomes immediately obvious. ~ Eric Clapton
8. The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. ~ Mark Twain
9. Nothing is more intolerable than to have admit to yourself your own errors. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven
10. You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather. ~ Pema Chödrön
11. Be curious, not judgmental. ~ Walt Whitman
12. Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. ~ Carl Jung
13. A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world: everyone you meet is your mirror. ~ Ken Keyes
14. Only when human beings are able to perceive and acknowledge the Self in each other can there be real peace. ~ Mata Amritanandamayi
15. The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions. ~ Leonardo da Vinci
16. All ideologies are idiotic, whether religious or political, for it is conceptual thinking, the conceptual word, which has so unfortunately divided man. ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
17. We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness.” ~ Thích Nhất Hạnh
18. All bad qualities centre round the ego. When the ego is gone, Realisation results by itself. There are neither good nor bad qualities in the Self. The Self is free from all qualities. Qualities pertain to the mind only. ~ Ramana Maharshi
19. When the mind is full of worldly desires, it is their very nature to confuse the mind. Withdraw the mind from outer things and turn it inwards. ~ Anandamayi Ma
20. It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell. ~ Gautama Buddha
21. Do not be afraid of your difficulties. Do not wish you could be in other circumstances than you are. For when you have made the best of an adversity, it becomes the stepping stone to a splendid opportunity. ~ Helena Petrovna Blavatsky
22. I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers. ~ Kahlil Gibran
23. The more I see, the less I know for sure. ~ John Lennon
24. Taliban-esque: Any behavior that imposes the beliefs of one person on everyone else. Conversations with the Taliban-esque are impossible. They aren’t even conversations. With them, it’s my way or no way. ~ Whoopie Goldberg
25. What the mind doesn’t understand, it worships or fears. ~ Alice Walker
26. We always have to choose to live our lives to the fullest. No one is better or worse than anyone else. We are different and beautiful. ~ Mattie Stepanek
27. The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy, we can all sense a mysterious connection to each other. ~ Meryl Streep
28. If you want to see God, kill desires. Desires are in the mind. When you have a desire for something, don’t act on it and it will go away. If you desire to drink this cup of tea, don’t, and the desire for it will go away. ~ Neem Karoli
29. Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? ~ Abraham Lincoln
30. If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. ~ Nikola Tesla
31. True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. ~ Socrates
32. Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave. ~ G.I. Gurdjieff
33. He has the most who is most content with the least. ~ Diogenes
34. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich. ~ Lao Tzu
35. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted. ~ Jesus of Nazareth
36. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
37. Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself in your way of thinking. ~ Marcus Aurelius
If you have any favourite quotes of your own to share, please feel free to include them below!
And don’t forget to mention your favorite quotes about old souls in the comments.
Written by Aletheia Luna
Originally appeared on - LonerWolf