The human mind is an extremely complex phenomenon. Even during a single waking hour, our mind goes through a lot of emotions that we ‘feel’. Among the many people who have been blessed with the gift of manifesting these ‘feelings’ into words, we have Sylvia Plath, a true poet of the 20th century whose quotes and writings are still as relevant as ever.
Poets such as Sylvia Plath are a gem in a generation, considering how many lives her poetry and quotes have impacted for the better. Her witty and insightful words of wisdom are bound to leave a lasting affect on your mind and help you understand your emotions to a greater extent.
As you read these memorable quotes by the great poet Sylvia Plath, make sure to let the words sink in deep enough for you to soak in these words of assurance and pain, pride and power.
Related: Much like Sylvia Plath’s quotes, We’ve collected 60+ Carl Jung Quotes for you to read when you are in need of guidance and affirmation at times when you feel lost on the journey of finding yourself. Here are 60+ Carl Jung Quotes To Guide You On Your Journey of Finding Yourself.
Here are 60+ Memorable Sylvia Plath Quotes That Express Our Deepest Emotions:
1. “If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed.”
2. “I want to be important. By being different. And these girls are all the same.”
3. “And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
4. “Kiss me, and you will see how important I am.”
5. “I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, “This is what it is to be happy.”
6. “I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between.”
7. “Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.”
8. “The silence depressed me. It wasn’t the silence of silence. It was my own silence.”
9. “And when at last you find someone to whom you feel you can pour out your soul, you stop in shock at the words you utter— they are so rusty, so ugly, so meaningless and feeble from being kept in the small cramped dark inside you so long.”
10. “I thought the most beautiful thing in the world must be shadow.”
11. “I didn’t want any flowers, I only wanted to lie with my hands turned up and be utterly empty. How free it is, you have no idea how free.”
12. “If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I’m neurotic as hell. I’ll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.”
13. “Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted.”
14. “Is there no way out of the mind?”
15. “I desire the things that will destroy me in the end.”
16. “Can you understand? Someone, somewhere, can you understand me a little, love me a little? For all my despair, for all my ideals, for all that – I love life. But it is hard, and I have so much – so very much to learn.”
17. “If the moon smiled, she would resemble you. You leave the same impression of something beautiful, but annihilating.”