2. Coffee Nap
Time: 20-30 minutes.
You might not have heard about it but it is very effective. This type of nap is a combination of the two most popular lethargy-bursting elements to create something heavenly.
Have a hot cup of coffee and sleep for 20 minutes because that’s the time required for coffee to take effect. This beverage contains caffeine and kills sleep-inducing components making you feel refreshed and alert. An effective remedy for the post-lunch struggle!
Some people rely only on caffeine for accomplishing task or studying but, compared to caffeine, napping can bring better memory and learning. So, when you combine coffee and nap, you can realise the power.
3. Power Nap
Time: 30-45 minutes.
For those looking for quick boost up, power naps are the most efficient naps as they ease stress and improve immune health. If you have any important meetings or presentaions or performances or speaking engagements, power naps are extremely helpful. It helps you get rid of midday drowsiness due to dull activities. Not only you will feel alert and well-rested, but gain a general increase in your potential.
Those who nap for 45 to 60 minutes can keep high blood pressure at bay. So, this type of nap is god for heart. Isn’t it a good way to recover from pressure-filled situations?
4. Classic Siesta
Time: 60-90 minutes
This one is for avid napper and most people especially older ones love this. This one is also the best nap for moms who send their kids off to school after the colossal Morning Kitchen Wars. Napping for an hour can brighten your outlook.
5. Memory Boost
Time: 7-9 hours
The well-beloved night sleep or say the essential nap. Do you know a week’s loss of sleep is an open invitation to death? Certified death, at that.
REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep (REM sleep is when you dream most) starts 70 to 90 minutes after you fall asleep. It activates parts of our brain associated with imagery and dreaming. A nap with REM sleep can help you think in new ways.
I guess you got the importance of memory boost pretty well.
Even if you try sleeping pills or natural remedies to have a good quality sleep, you cannot deny the sole power of naps.
In conclusion, afternoon naps are a sign of health and NOT Laziness.
Take a Nap! Change Your Life
- Brooks, A. and Lack, L., 2006. A brief afternoon nap following nocturnal sleep restriction: which nap duration is most recuperative?. Sleep, 29(6), pp.831-840.
- Blanchfield, A.W., Lewis-Jones, T.M., Wignall, J.R., Roberts, J.B. and Oliver, S.J., 2018. The influence of an afternoon nap on the endurance performance of trained runners. European journal of sport science, 18(9), pp.1177-1184.
- Chee, M.W., A daytime nap restores hippocampal function and improves declarative learning.
- Hayashi, M., Masuda, A. and Hori, T., 2003. The alerting effects of caffeine, bright light and face washing after a short daytime nap. Clinical Neurophysiology, 114(12), pp.2268-2278.
- Nishida, M. and Walker, M.P., 2007. Daytime naps, motor memory consolidation and regionally specific sleep spindles. PloS one, 2(4), p.e341.