32. Fights are never about content. Where we store the dish soap, whether it’s quicker to take the frontage road or the freeway, whether it’s horribly rude not to answer a text — none of these are worth getting ourselves all in a twist. Our upsets are about the larger meaning we make of that unanswered text, that resistance to influence, that refusal to take seriously the things we request. It’s really helpful to accurately name what’s setting you off.
33. There’s a big difference between being happily married and living happily ever after. None of us are happy 24/7. Thank goodness we don’t need to be.
34. When you think to yourself, I really shouldn’t say this, you’re probably right.
35. Learning how to make up is essential since you’ll never, ever, get to a point where neither one of you screws up.
36. One of you has to go first. Apologize first. Be vulnerable first. Yield first. Forgive first. Why not let that person be you?
Looking to have a more satisfying marriage? Get my free bonus article: 75 Ways To Improve Your Relationship Starting Today.
Related Video: 6 Early Red Flags of a Toxic Relationship
Become a Contributor at The Minds Journal
Written by Winifred M. Reilly M.A., MFT
Originally appeared on SpeakingOfMarriage.com
You may also like
- This Is What A Healthy Relationship Looks Like
- Want A Healthy Relationship? Stop Making It “All About Him”
- 10 Signs of a Healthy Relationship
- 13 Habits Common in Healthy Relationships
- 5 Ingredients For Attracting Happiness and Healthy Relationships in Your Life