1. Just because someone kept pursuing you doesn’t mean they want to stay. Some people are just spontaneous and will do things without really thinking ahead. Sometimes there is no deeper meaning behind what they do other than the fact that they are curious or somewhat interested.
2. If someone likes you enough they will either say it or show it. You wouldn’t be left wondering and guessing and waiting for things to happen. Both men and women know how to win someone they really want to be with.
3. Timing is important but it’s not a deal breaker. Timing plays a big role in how the relationship will evolve but it’s not a reason to end it if things are going well and you are both interested in each other. There is always a way to make it work if you both truly want to make it happen. Otherwise timing is another excuse to get out of getting in a relationship.
4. Asking questions early on could save you from getting hurt. If you don’t ask important questions like what the other person is truly looking for and how many other people they are talking to, you could be living in your own fantasy. You could be looking for a relationship and the other person just wants to ‘have fun’ or ‘hang out.’ It’s always smart to know where you stand.
5. Don’t let your emotions blind you. Don’t let your feelings blind you from seeing how someone is treating you. Don’t make unrealistic excuses when you know better. If their actions are not consistent with their words then you should accept the fact that they may not be that invested in you.
6. You can’t force something simply because you want it right now. Even if you are the most patient and most understanding person in the world, if the feelings are not reciprocated and you two are not on the same page, you can’t force a relationship on someone simply because you want to.
7. Sometimes you like the challenge not the person. Sometimes it’s the idea of getting someone so unattainable that keeps us stuck in an almost relationship, or sometimes it’s our ego telling us we have to get what we want. You have to determine whether you’re stuck in this situation because you like the person or you’re addicted to the thrill of the chase.
8. If you want a relationship, you are going to have to stand up for what you want. If you want more then you have to ask for it instead of taking whatever they can give you. You will have to set boundaries and not settle for something you know deep in your heart is not what you are looking for.
9. Waiting may not change the outcome. If you are waiting for someone to finally realize how amazing you are, you are probably wasting your time. People know quickly if they want a relationship with that person or not and will not keep someone they truly care about waiting without at least an explanation or some clarity. Holding on to false hope is what makes people resent each other for something they never promised.
10. You may not get closure. Almost relationships mostly end without closure. You may never know why things ended or why it fizzled out, was it you or was it them — and so many other unanswered questions. You will learn that if the relationship was never defined in the first place, then it will end without explanations too.
Source – Thought Catalog