Do you know your way of walking speaks volumes about your mood and personality? Your walking style i.e you walk fast or slow or walk with short strides or lunging steps can reveal whether you are an easy-going person or introvert or ambitious or charismatic.
A 2017 study provides robust evidence that an individual’s personality traits are associated with walking speed, posture, the position of your arms. Caleb Backe, a health and wellness expert conducted research on walking speed and styles and compared the results with “The Big 5” personality traits including openness, neuroticism, extraversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness. The results are published in Social Psychological and Personality Science.
Do you know higher conscientiousness, extraversion, and openness are related to a faster walking speed? It means your mood, thoughts, feelings, and perspective towards life all affect your gait, how you walk and the speed of walking. For clear understanding, I have listed 13 different walking styles. Check out which one is yours and associated personality traits. If you think the results are spot on drop a comment below.
Check Out 13 Different Walking Styles And What They Say About The kind Of Person You Are
1. Walking With Liveliness With Your Head Held High: The Achiever
This is a politician’s or influencer’s or achiever’s style of walking.
If you are a politician or an influencer, then you usually walk with erect posture, your head held high, shoulders back, chest forward, and quick, springy steps. And your body language is lively and energetic. Looks like you are moving ahead with full steam. You tend to gesture consistently and can engage with anyone who passes you. Simultaneously, you keep an eye on your environment.
Personality traits associated with Achiever’s walking style:
- You are a confident speaker
- You believe in actions not words
- You like to take new challenges
- You crave for new experiences
- You tend to get bored easily
- You are social and friendly
- You inspire others to attain their full potential
- You desire appreciation and acknowledgement
- At times you may come across as insincere and phoony
Related: What Kind Of Mystery Are You? Quiz
2. Taking Small Steps While Hunched Over: The Corrector
This is a corrector’s walking style.
Personality traits associated with corrector’s walking style:
- You are introvert
- You are shy and avoid eye contact when talking to people
- You take time before connecting and building a deep bond with people
3. Walking Very Slowly And Carefully: The Worrier
It’s a worrier’ walking style:
If you are a worrier, you walk slowly with short strides and may drag your feet. While walking your eyes are on the ground and you may seem unsettled. You are cautious about your surroundings while walking.
Personality traits associated with worrier’s walking style:
- You are introvert and tight-lipped
- You’re very thoughtful
- You prefer to live alone
- Sometimes you may be vulnerable and fearful
- If you drag your feet often, then you are sad or lethargic and unable to detach yourself from worries of life.
4. Walking Very Quickly With Fast And Focused Strides: The Executive
This is an executive’s walking style.
People who are executives walk very quickly, leaning their weight forward, but are confident. They hold their head high and focus on their thoughts or look at their phone, least bothered about people around them. So, they are likely to bump into others.
Personality traits associated with executive walking style:
- You are a thinker and a great problem solver.
- You are intense and goal-oriented.
- Sometimes you come across as an intense and unfriendly person.
5. Walking In Medium-Paced, Confident Strides: The Supporter
It’s a supporter’s walking style!
If you are a supporter, you often walk with medium-paced and confident strides. You can make gestures, eye contact, and interact with people while walking.
Personality traits associated with supporter’s walking style:
- You are helpful, cooperative and dependable
- You can be a good team player
- You’ve good listening skills and think twice before speaking
- You are loyal and believe in unity and relationships