I’d like to give a gift to my daughters. I want to give them 18 little light bulbs to illuminate their journey…
1. Don’t strive to be popular, settle for being yourself, settle into yourself .
Over the years, I’ve learned that the popular people are the most insecure. The popular girl or boy surround him or herself with others to hide from their own insecurities. When you settle for yourself, you will never settle for anyone who is not themselves.
2. Eat your dessert every day.
Every day, have a treat. Not as a reward, but as a privilege. It is an honor to taste, to enjoy, to salivate and dance with sweetness. Don’t deny yourself this privilege. You have a mouth, you have taste buds—use them.
3. Say No at least once a day.
Don’t be a people pleaser
4. Never feel guilty for moving away from me, for traveling or going on an adventure.
I want you to leave me, to travel far away and only send a post card once in a while. I didn’t birth you to burden you. I birthed you to release you. My love is here whether you are two feet from me, or 20,000 miles away, go be you.
5. Know that you are absolutely right when you think that the calculus class you are taking is boring…and is information you will never use in real life.
You are right, yet understand that the patience you cultivate when sitting through the class, and the discipline you strengthen to solve the problem, will be the foundation that will allow you to persevere through every challenge and experience in life.
6. Please don’t wait until marriage to have sex.
Just wait until you meet someone who makes you smile, makes you laugh, respects you (as your father does), holds your hand and isn’t afraid to cry in front of you.
7. If you go shopping and you like something, don’t buy it right then.
Put it on hold. Go about your day, go to sleep, and the next day if you are still thinking of it, buy it.
8. Choose something to have faith in.
If you have faith, you have hope, and when you have hope you always see a way. When you see a way, you never give up.
9. Listen to the whisper, the churn in your belly and the goosebumps on your arms.
Those sensations are not sensations at all, they are you speaking. Don’t listen to the second voice, that is just doubt, and definitely don’t listen to the third voice, that is just someone else’s opinion. Always and only trust yourself.
10. Cut your hair short at least once, it will free you.