Nowadays, fast lifestyle-based diseases like obesity, diabetes are on the rise. So people are turning to natural remedies to treat their health issues. We at Mind Journal love simple, cost-effective home remedies to boost health and happiness. In this post, we discuss oxymel – a super combination of garlic, apple cider vinegar, and honey to keep lifestyle diseases at bay.
Why To Use An Oxymel?
Oxymel is derived from the Greek word oxymeli, meaning “acid and honey.” The use of this herbal tonic dates back to the age of Hippocrates and involves the extraction of herbs like garlic that are not so pleasant in flavor when taken through other methods (Hippocrates, 400 B.C.E). The herbs used in oxymel support immune and respiratory systems (Green, 2000). In this post, we will focus on oxymel that is the super combination of apple cider vinegar, garlic and honey.
People have used honey and garlic to treat their diseases and illnesses for millennia and apple cider vinegar is one of the healthiest foods we can use as well. The combination of these ingredients makes a potent natural remedy for both adults and kids, that will fight cold and flu and even the most severe health issues.
Garlic has powerful anti-inflammatory properties which strengthen the immune system, digestive and respiratory tract. Apple cider vinegar treats indigestion, high blood sugar, sore throat, helps weight loss, and treats stomach issues. Honey has anti-microbial benefits and is a strong natural antiseptic.
Oxymels made of herbs that carry complementary actions is wonderful and tasty support for times of sickness or weak immunity. Hippocrates: said, “You will find the drink, called oxymel, often very useful… for it promotes expectoration and freedom of breathing” (Hippocrates, 400 B.C.E.).
What Are The Benefits Of Oxymel – Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, And Honey?
- This herbal tonic is an immune stimulant and enhancer
- It controls blood pressure and cholesterol
- Cures cold and infections
- Effective for gout, arthritis, and joint aches.
- Strengthens digestive tract
- Improves skin health
- Helps in weight loss
Natural, organic, balanced diets are an incredibly effective way to supply the body with the needed nutrients and prevent serious diseases.
Therefore, we especially recommend this oxymel remedy during the winter months.
How To Prepare The Oxymeal
- 8-10 fresh garlic- chopped, mashed, pressed, or grated and set aside for 10 minutes. (This step is to activate allicin, the most active ingredient.)
- 1 cup honey (locally sourced if possible).
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar- raw & organic.
- 2 cups water.
- Take a saucepan, heat apple cider vinegar, and water for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add prepared garlic to the saucepan and let steep on low heat for 60 minutes. (Strain off garlic if you wish).
- Add honey to the saucepan and stir.
- You should mix the ingredients at high speed for 45-60 seconds until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Add herbs like rosemary if you want.
- Pour in a sealable glass jar and you are finished.
- Keep the mixture at room temperature or refrigerated for 5 days with occasional stir everyday. The mixture is ready to use after days.
How To Use Oxymel:
You should take 2 tablespoons of this health bomb with a glass of water every morning. The mixture is very strong, and should not be consumed directly. If you are feeling a little congested or feeling the sniffles. Also, you can pour it over vegetables, salads, and meat dishes as a dressing.
Note that its effects are the strongest in the first 5 days. You will notice the positive effects very soon!
oxymels use raw honey, so do not give them to children under 12 months old.
- Green, J. (2000). The herbal medicine-maker’s handbook: A home manual. Berkley, CA: Crossing Press.
- Hippocrates. (400 B.C.E.). On regimen in acute diseases. Retrieved from http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/acutedis.html.