8. Our body has an innate ability to heal, and it keeps the scars of your past. The body remembers what the mind forgets. And what the mind suppressed, the body expresses. So many answers can be found when you get out of your mind and into your body. Calming the mind and resting the body by getting out of stressful “fight-or-flight” modes of thinking are key to healing. Most of the answers can be found in intentional stillness (meditation).
9. You cannot be free from pain. But you can be free of the fear of pain. Everything we experience is mind-made – mediated and shaped by our mental processes. We really do create our own reality. This means that we can always consciously CHOOSE to take another path.
So if you don’t like what you see, change your relation to it! Don’t let your thoughts and emotions destroy your inner peace. Remember that healing doesn’t mean forgetting. It means that you no longer let your past ruin the peace of the present moment!
10. We do not always need a plan to start. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just START (all over again)! You cannot think your way to an outcome. You’ve got to act your way to it. There is no quick fix when it comes to mental health. Life-changing transformation comes from small committed changes practiced with consistency.
11. Talking about starting, another important lesson I learned on my escape to Mama Bali: A “fresh start” isn’t a place. It’s a mindset. That means you can heal anywhere and don’t need to go to Bali (or any other place) to start doing the inner work. In fact, your current triggers are the very thing that will make you even stronger.
12. Healing is an ongoing journey of self-discovery. Healing = personal accountability. Personal accountability = freedom. So freedom = choice. Your life, your choice. Never blame anyone else for your healing progress. Read this, if you want to dig deeper.
13. Your breath is your most honest teacher. It will always reveal to you how you feel – in the present moment. Breath-work is FREE and yet one of the most powerful tools in my holistic healing tool-kit!
14. The art of listening is not to hear what someone says, but to hear how they feel. Listening is a hug you give with your heart. And we do not need to agree with someone to listen to them and hear them out. LISTEN and SILENT are spelled with the same letters. Think about it!
15. Stillness is one of the greatest gifts we can give to ourselves. In stillness, we create the space needed to create something new that is serving us. Go meditate. Daily. One of the gifts that slowness in the present moment gives us the chance to see things more deeply than we saw them before.
16. (Self-)forgiveness frees you from emotional bondage you weren’t even aware of suppressing. You are allowed to forgive yourself for everything (whatever everything maybe).
Letting go doesn’t mean that you forget. It means that you are no longer carrying the energy of the past into the present and future. The progress speeds up as soon as we forgive ourselves for taking so long to treat our bodies and minds as a home – instead of a prison.
17. Taking baby steps are usually more effective long-term than “big leaps”, but unfortunately soo much undervalued in modern society. A little change is still change. Keeping daily promises to ourselves. I know the Ego, or small self will protest. I know it will think it “knows better” and small promises “don’t matter” and will never bring you the “big” results. Mental resistance from the Ego is normal. Do it anyway!
18. Having hope for the future does not mean you think everything will go perfectly and according to plan. It means you are choosing to believe you can keep an open heart. Affirmations don’t work as you use them as a “magical tool”. There is a BIG difference between magic and miracles.
Magic: when you use your mind to tell the universe what you want vs. Miracle: when you ask the universe what it wants and how you can serve it.
So my advice: Don’t waste your time making a vision board. Make an AWARENESS board instead and remind yourself once you get distracted to return to the present moment!
19. Having the courage to do the right thing – whether it is large or small – will always make you feel better than doing something you don’t agree to. Nearly everything good, meaningful, and joyous in my life has come from stepping out of comfort and into the unknown, with no guarantee of what the outcome would be.
Confidence isn’t knowing other people like you. It’s knowing you’ll be fine if they don’t. (I believe this is a quote I picked up somewhere. But I don’t remember who said it..) So in my words: You do YOU!