How to build trust in your relationship
“In order to establish trust, it is first important that you be trustworthy. This means you should be forthright with all your dealings.” – Paul Melendez
Wondering how you can cultivate trust in a relationship? Here are some basic and simple ways for you to get started:
1. Openly communicate with your partner
The first thing you need to do is talk to your partner. And I mean really talk with them. Talk about the things that matter to you. Talk about your feelings and emotions. Talk about your concerns, insecurities, and worries. Let them know if anything they did has disappointed you. Ask them the same and listen. Don’t listen to respond. But listen to understand. Once you talk, you will have more clarity about their behaviors and decisions and they will understand you better as well. Communicating in a mature way is the very core of a healthy relationship.
2. Set defined boundaries
Make sure you have defined clear boundaries that both you and your partner can accept. This is crucial for cultivating trust in any relationship. Find out about what makes your partner feel anxious and worried and what are probable deal breakers and let her know about yours. Once you set personal boundaries and agree to them, respect each other to stick to it.
3. Talk about commitment
It is important that you sit down with your partner and talk about what commitment means to both of you. Once you are on the same page regarding commitment, figure out how this may influence you and your partner’s future together. Most of us have various expectations when it comes to commitment. This is what leads to confusion, complications and a lack of trust among romantic partners. So it is a good idea to talk about it and have clarity about the future of the relationship.
Here are some other ways to build trust in your relations and create a stronger, more intimate bond:
- Admit your faults and mistakes when you screw things up. Don’t cover up or deny your mistakes.
- Learn to forgive each other and be humble enough to let go of past problems and issues.
- Try to be as caring, faithful, honest and responsible as you can. Your partner will reciprocate your behavior.
- Listen and understand when your partner talks to you without judging them.
- Make sure you keep your promises every time you make them. Breaking even the smallest promise can break trust in a big way.
- Show your partner that you are interested in doing activities that she likes. Know her hobbies & tastes and help her accomplish her goals.
- Understand your partner, empathize with them and try to successfully fulfill their needs.
- Solve issues and arguments in a calm and mature way. Don’t accuse or blame her. Do not avoid problems either.
- If she has shared something very intimate and personal with you, keep it to yourself. Respect and guard their privacy.
- Respect your partner and try not to judge or criticize them for every single mistake they make.
- Be a supportive romantic partner and help them in doing what they want, taking risks and achieving goals.
Trust leads to love
“Trust each other again and again. When the trust level gets high enough, people transcend apparent limits, discovering new and awesome abilities of which they were previously unaware.” – David Armistead
It will take a lot of time, effort and patience to build trust in your relationship. Moreover, both you and your partner will need to be willing to trust each other and give one another a good reason to trust. As it is difficult to earn trust from your partner, make sure not to do anything to break that trust. Be as committed, dedicated, caring and consistent as you can in the relationship.
Once trust is established in the relationship, it will help you love each other on a deeper level and find true happiness.
You May Also Like:
- Signs of True Love & True Relationships
- 12 Little Things That Prove Your Love Is True
- How Being In Love Is Different From Loving Someone
- 9 Thoughts That Prove You’re In A Genuinely Healthy Relationship