These questions are reminders that relationships always need continued work, attention, and commitment.
Key points in love to embrace:
• Communication is key. How will you communicate about your differences? How will they be managed? Can you talk about your differences in a way that encourages healthy communication strategies and understanding? In a way that honors both your similarities and differences? Do you feel safe sharing your feelings?
• Learning to recognize and embrace the stages of love can help both individuals and couples better navigate the expected twists and turns of a relationship.
• Understand and prepare for the challenges that relationships bring. This helps the couple identify the triggers and be proactive rather than reactive. Learn how to work through them. This helps create the bridge that connects, not the bridge that divides. Boredom can set in but you can still embrace it. Remain curious about the other person. Have fun.
• Navigating through the stages of love is not a linear process. Recognize that life is a series of transitions that can offset the calm and put the couple back in the power struggle stage. That’s ok.
• If you feel the relationship is taking a negative direction, before it’s too late, consult with a professional. Having a third party to help you navigate your relationship challenges could be the key to saving your relationship! There is much to be said about an impartial third party. They can and often do help.
Become a Contributor at The Minds Journal
Kristin M. Davin, Psy.D.
Solution Focused Psychologist & Coach
Originally appeared on KristinDavin.com
You may also like
- The 3 Stages Of Love You Must Go Through Before You Get Married
- The 5 Stages of Love: Why Too Many Stop at Stage 3
- The 7 Types of Love
- 9 Good Signs That You’re In The Right Relationship