There’s a certain sense of ‘being alive’ that strikes you when you hear someone frame together words of wisdom that explain and express a certain feeling that torments you. You instantly feel a strong connection with that person for understanding what you feel and for putting it into words so that you can understand yourself better. Ultimately, you are relieved of the overwhelming burden of that certain feeling or emotion and you know for sure that you are not alone.
This is the beauty and power of words.
Proverbs, anecdotes, quips, riddles, excerpts, aphorisms, koans, snippets, lyrics, and limericks – you name it, I appreciate them all.
Quotes these days tend to catch a bad rep on the internet, due to certain popular quotes to be shared ad infinitum.
But this is a real shame and disappointment. Because if you really dig deep enough in the caverns of the internet, you can find a nearly infinite wellspring of mind-liberating, soul-vitalizing words of wisdom.
Now, don’t get me wrong, quotes can never be a replacement for reading entire books, intricate novels, and long-form essays. Absolutely no way.
But I believe that they can nonetheless deliver influential, pithy shots of insight, clarity, and vigor.
That being said, as a gift to you, we have assembled this list of 150 priceless jewels of thought, on everything ranging from love and suffering to mystery and happiness, to death and morality.
Make sure you marinate, contemplate, salivate, and above all, savor these words of wisdom as if they were intimate notes left personally to you by some of the greatest minds in history.
Because in fact, that’s exactly what they are.
Related: Take these words of wisdom and apply them to the power of now to power through life. Here are 100+ Eckhart Tolle’s Quotes To Help You Power Through Life.
Here are 150 Words of Wisdom – For Life, Death and Everything In Between:
1. “What did you do as a child that made the hours pass like minutes? Herein lies the key to your earthly pursuits.” ― Carl Jung
2. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.” ― Lao Tzu
3. “Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.” ― Socrates
4. “Man only likes to count his troubles; he doesn’t calculate his happiness.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
5. “Happiness consists in realizing it is all a great strange dream.” ― Jack Kerouac
6. “I have the true feeling of myself only when I am unbearably unhappy.” ― Franz Kafka
7. “If you look for perfection, you’ll never be content.” ― Leo Tolstoy
8. “Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action. ” ― William James
9. “The notion that a human being should be constantly happy is a uniquely modern, uniquely American, uniquely destructive idea” ― Andrew Weil
10. “The truly faithless one is the one who makes love to only a fraction of you. And denies the rest.” ― Anaïs Nin
11. “Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.” ― Kahlil Gibran
12. “When you love someone, you love the person as they are, and not as you’d like them to be.” — Leo Tolstoy
13. “Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
14. “We need, in love, to practice only this: letting each other go. For holding on comes easily; we do not need to learn it.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke