1. WHAT IS INVALIDATION?
• Invalidation is when you tell someone that his or her feelings are not valid-or that they are wrong.
2. INVALIDATING REMARKS
• “That’s nothing to get upset about!” “Don’t be mad; he didn’t mean it.”
3. INVALIDATION CAUSES HARM
• It may be well-intentioned.
• But it is also “a hallmark of emotional, psychological and sexual abuse”.
• Invalidation makes people feel that their emotions are “wrong” or “bad”.
• Worsens psychological disorders and emotional problems.
4. FEELINGS & PAINFUL EMOTIONS
• Feelings are not right or wrong.
• They are natural sources of information.
• If avoided or suppressed, painful emotions become more intense or manifest in another way.
• Pain— when minimized or denied can never heal.
– @Trauma Dissociation