Personal development is a multi-billion dollar industry. Many bloggers have been able to capitalize on this market by creating a blog, building up traffic, and then monetizing that blog.
If you are finding it difficult to set up your personal development blog, the following information will be beneficial. The first step is determining what you’re going to blog about.
Find Your Niche
Personal development is a broad topic that includes health, diet, happiness, spirituality, mind power, and a whole host of other topics. Many personal development bloggers have a strong desire to help their fellow man. Their intentions are good. They start blogging about what they are interested in, but because they do not identify their niche, they quickly find that they are blogging just for fun. No one is reading what they are writing.
Many personal development blogs end up becoming online cheerleaders. They post motivational quotes, trying to lift other people’s spirits or get them to see things in a different light. The headlines they use are generic, and the content is mediocre. How can this translate into a successful business? It cannot.
Remember, individuals looking for personal development help are likely not motivated and have difficulty committing to things. Unless your blog is tailored to meet a specific need, it is likely that most people will not search for what you have on your blog. If they do visit your blog, the vagueness of it may make it difficult for them to find what they are looking for. Most people are unaware of your blog. It’s your job to make them aware of it.
When people search Google for help with a specific problem, they want a specific result. If your general personal development blog is not offering specific solutions to meet the needs of potential readers, they won’t find you. You will find yourself needing to read your own blog posts as a way of getting yourself out of the dumps.
The take away:
- Come up with a concept that deals with concrete problems and provides specific answers.
- Offer content that offers solutions your readers can walk away with. Your readers need more than a surface discussion that doesn’t touch anything real.
- Use post headlines that accurately describe the information found within your blog.
Find the Right Hosting for Your Blog
Before selecting the right hosting platform for your blog, you should know what makes a good hosting service.
- Security: Website security is a must. You do not want your site to get hacked. Even if you just have a handful of followers, you don’t want their information stolen. So figure out what kind of security features your web host offers.
- Reliability: People are turning to you in their hour of need. You want them to be able to find your site up and running. You want a hosting company that is reliable and keeps downtimes to a minimum.
- Email: You want a professional email address that has the same domain as your URL. Find a hosting provider that gives you the opportunity to add on an email as well.
- Cost: Most shared hosting accounts are affordable. You can usually find one for under $20 a month.
Types of Hosting Available
There are a number of types of web hosting. For our purposes, we are going to focus on three:
- Dedicated – One server for your entire website
- VPS – Servers divided into smaller virtual servers
- Shared- Multiple sites will share the same server