The birth of a child is a life-changing event for every family and has a significant impact on the lives of the parents. After that came the children changed skills, daily routine, the situation in the house and the way of life. Preparing for the arrival of the baby involves a lot of factors: hourly selection of bedding, bed, clothing, and necessary articles of clothing. However, the main aspect of future childbirth is the psychological state of the mother and her emotional stability.
Often mothers are interested in the primary needs of newborns, they read, ask their friends about them. Of course, there is a pseudoscientific fear: will I be the best mother for my baby, will I be able to provide for all his needs? But you don’t have to worry. All basic instincts are inherent in women by nature. And one of the most important factors in a newborn’s life is not bedding or diaper color, but breastfeeding.
Many mothers plan to breastfeed their babies because breast milk is the healthiest food for the baby. Not all of them know that it is better to prepare the milk glands for this process, and feeding will go without problems for mother and child.
Physiologically, your breasts are ready to breastfeed before the eighth month of pregnancy. This is evidenced by occasional “leaks” of milk in some pregnant women, but women often have doubts about their readiness to breastfeed. Some fear whether they can handle it, whether they have enough milk. Others fear that their nipples will crack, their breasts will take a different shape, and milk will constantly “leak”.
The mother must understand that her milk is the guarantor of the health and full development of the baby. Even a few months of breastfeeding will be of great benefit to your baby. You can maintain the shape of the breast and prevent cracked nipples by taking good care of your breasts during lactation.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL PREPARATION
Having looked through the above recommendations, we can consider that we know everything about breastfeeding. But it is a pity that it is not enough to prepare your breasts to lactation, psychological preparation for lactation is not less important. The period before lactation is very sensitive. The body feels not only physiological but also emotional stress. Women who are having their first child are especially stressed.
The best way to get rid of fear is to talk to someone. You need to talk more with other mothers and with your doctor. This will help you avoid stress and uncertainty. It is important to understand how lactation works and how breasts change. If a mother knows what to expect from her body, the stress will go much easier and faster.
YOU’RE NOT ALONE
A good solution is to attend special classes for expectant parents. At such training, medics tell you about the rules of nursing, to help you prepare both psychologically and physically. There you can learn techniques to breast massage, to understand in advance with a pose for feeding. The best way to receive instructions is at these sessions – a trained practitioner will give real actionable recommendations.
Don’t forget about your family. Your family and friends will always be glad to help you and support you morally and physically. If you have problems with breastfeeding, you can try combined or artificial feeding. The formula market today is full of very high-quality products. The formula products are adapted to breast milk as much as possible.
More information can be found on the page: Best Organic Baby Formula 2021
PHYSICAL PREPARATION FOR BREASTFEEDING
So, preparing your breasts for nursing is a necessary step before the start of lactation and breastfeeding. It is important to do everything right: from personal hygiene to strict medical instructions. And then you will not have any problems during the feeding, and you will feel normal. Let’s find out how to prepare yourself and your breasts for breastfeeding, what to pay attention to, and how to avoid typical mistakes.
The first rule is to start preparing when you are pregnant. Women with flat or inverted nipples, as well as those with increased sensitivity, must be especially zealous in their preparations. If you have a disease, it is necessary to see a physician and get qualified advice on how to prepare for lactation.
As breastfeeding studies have shown, the most comfortable nipple shape for breastfeeding is convex of the nipple. But those who have flat or inverted nipples should not worry. Breastfeeding preparation can help minimize any discomfort. First, accurately determine the shape of the nipples. To do this, gently squeeze the areola with two fingers. If the nipple protrudes forward, it is convex. When the shape is retracted, the nipple falls in the middle. Another method is the influence of cold. At low temperatures the normal nipple will pull forward, the shape of the flat nipple will not change, and the stretched nipple will fall back.
Flat or retracted nipples can be prepared for nursing with the help of such methods and devices:
- Nipple correctors. They work like a pump: they put pressure on the areola, pulling the nipple out. It is recommended to start using them a month before the due date. The duration of the first application is 5 minutes, then gradually increases to 30 minutes a day. Consult your obstetrician before use.
- Special bra. This type of bra has special inserts that gradually pull your nipples out.
- Massage. You can also use it to prepare your breasts for feeding. First, do it very carefully. With two fingers, gently stimulate the nipple, twisting it slightly. It is better to have your finger nails trimmed (the skin in this area is thin and delicate and easily traumatized). Do not overdo the movements and the duration of the massage. Otherwise, it can lead to an increase in uterine tone.
- Breast pump. You can use it to decant the breasts after the pregnancy. But even here you should consult a doctor beforehand, who will find out whether you have any contraindications to this procedure.
INCREASED BREAST SENSITIVITY
Another problem of breastfeeding mothers is increased nipple sensitivity. It causes mom torment during every nursing session. Unpleasant feelings also affect the baby, who does not receive full contact with the mother. To reduce the sensitivity, often give your milk glands “air baths”. Every day for 10-15 days, walk at home without a bra. If the weather is warm outside, if possible, go out into the fresh air.
Wear a bra made of coarse material, but make sure that the fabric is not too stiff, otherwise, the delicate skin can be chafed. You can give a massage that imitates feeding the baby. Squeeze the nipple with two fingers and release it (do not apply excessive force, so as not to cause uterine tone). First, ask your doctor if such a massage will harm you.
An important recommendation for expectant mothers is to choose the right bra. It will help to protect your breasts, relieve them from blisters and discomfort. It is categorically not recommended to do without a bra – your breasts will undergo serious changes, will increase in size, and require support. When choosing a bra you should pay attention to the following things:
1) Choose a model of hypoallergenic, natural, and breathable material;
2) The straps must be wide enough not to stick into the skin and give enough support;
The bra you wear should not squeeze your breasts, so it is better to choose a larger model than the one you wore before pregnancy.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR BREASTS NICE AND TRIM
Many women are interested in whether the breasts will return to their original shape because they are not only mothers but also wives who want to be 100% attractive.
Usually, after lactation, the size of the breast returns to its former volume or even becomes slightly larger. It is not for nothing that pregnancy is one of the natural ways to increase the bust. But most of all, it depends on heredity and individual characteristics of the body.
Let’s look at some recommendations that will help you keep your breasts beautiful and taut:
- Wearing special supportive underwear. If sagging breasts are very fatiguing, it is recommended to choose not just a good bra, but a special supportive bra. It is designed specifically for pregnant and postpartum women and minimizes pressure on the ligaments, preventing sagging breasts.
- The bra should fit perfectly – you may have to buy new bras several times during pregnancy and breastfeeding because your breasts change quickly.
- Avoid any squeezing of the breasts. Good blood circulation in the breast tissues is extremely important for maintaining and keeping your shape.
- Do special exercises – a standard set of push-ups from a wall or couch, squeezing your legs in front of your chest.
- It is necessary to refrain from jogging and stretching, as well as any strength and cardio exercises that involve the chest, except for special recommended exercises.
- It is not recommended sleeping on your stomach during lactation.
- It is important to control your weight – very often the shape of breasts changes after rapid weight loss. If you were not able to keep your weight during the lactation period, you should lose weight step by step.
- It is necessary to feed your child in a proper classic position so that the milk glands are completely devastated.
- During the lactation period it is also necessary to have regular massages – you can use different oils.
- The best exercise to keep your breasts toned during pregnancy and lactation is to place your hands in front of your breasts, one hand in front of the other, and apply pressure.
- After you finish lactation, rub your breasts with ice cubes to keep them in shape. Do the procedure for 1-2 minutes, no longer. Make ice cubes with an infusion or decoction of herbs (succession, chamomile, calendula). Rub these ice cubes on the skin of the breast and areolae with nipples.
- Preventing cracked nipples is an important part of preparing for breastfeeding. These micro-traumas are fraught with a high risk of infection and inflammation, and it is also very unpleasant. A special compress can help in prevention. Prepare decoction of oak bark, soak it in cotton disks and apply to the areola for 3-5 minutes. Instead of oak bark, you can brew black tea.
DON’T WORRY, BE HAPPY
Now you know that if you prepare your breasts for the pregnancy, the lactation will be painless and most comfortable. It is important to remember that the body is biologically well adapted to the breastfeeding of the baby – so all the problems with milk production and the condition of the breasts can be solved.
Use the recommendations, and the lactation period will pass quickly and without borrowing. You will become the best mother in the world for your baby, and you will feel great.