This article just barely touches the tip of the iceberg as relates to the intersection of PMADs and recovery in narcissistic abuse. I can assure you that more writing and research is in the works.
Again, not all moms with PMADs have experienced narcissistic or psychological abuse. But many have, and those are the mamas that are not only struggling with sleep deprivation, hormonal fluctuations more dramatic than a seismograph, extreme fatigue, mood shifts, panic etc. But they are also dealing with flashbacks and unresolved complicated grief from prior instances of abuse either from family-of-origin, work, or romantic relationships.
The good news is that with help, moms recover.
All moms and their families deserve access to qualified competent and compassionate care.
Postpartum Support International – Largest non-profit in the world dedicated to women’s reproductive mental health; list of volunteer coordinators in each state of U.S. and many countries who will link moms and partners with resources and providers, as well as warm line support.
- Maternal Mental Health Now – Los Angeles based advocacy group provides list of providers in L.A. County; trainings, policy, advocacy, resources, research www.maternalmentalhealthnow.org
- 2020 Mom – National organization whose mission is “closing gaps in maternal mental health care through education, advocacy, and collaboration. ” www.2020mom.org
- (Narcissistic Abuse Recovery)
Christine Louis de Canonville – www.narcissisticbehavior.net – pioneer therapist in narcissistic abuse recovery; author of The Three Faces of Evil: Unmasking The Full Spectrum of Narcissistic Abuse; prolific writer, speaker, therapist.
- Kristin Walker – CEO of Mental Health News Radio and everythingehr.com; has internationally recognized podcasts and radio programs specifically addressing mental health and the subject of narcissistic abuse recovery with wide-ranging speakers and specialists; excellent resource; advocate, writer, life coach.
- Karyl McBride – www.karylmcbridephd.com — pioneer therapist, writer, researcher on adult survivors of parental narcissistic abuse; articles and books as well as resources available on her website; also addresses high conflict divorce with narcissistic partner.
- Eleanor Payson – www.eleanorpayson.com — one of the first therapists to address narcissistic abuse in 3 settings of family, work and love relationships; author of The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One Way Relationship in Work, Love and Family.
- Linda Martinez-Lewi – www.thenarcissistinyourlife.com — pioneer therapist in the field addressing narcissistic abuse in all life domains; prolific writer, advocate and therapist.
- Shahida Arabi – www.selfcarehaven.wordpress.com – prolific writer and advocate for narcissistic abuse survivors, specifically from romantic relationships.
By Andrea Schneider
Printed with permission
Originally appeared on Andrea Schneider.com
You may also like:
- 10 Things You Learn From Being Raised By A Strong Mother
- An Open Letter To The Women Who Chose Not To Become A Mother.
- 24 Characteristics of Narcissistic Mothers
- Science Says We Inherit Our Intelligence From Our Mothers
- Healing the Mother Wound That Was Inflicted on You as a Child