9. Cheating in romantic relationships
Narcissists lack empathy and are emotionally cold, so they do not regret or feel guilty while engaging in infidelity. This is in fact the cumulative effect of all the above traits of narcissism. Even if they seem to depend on their partner, it is nothing emotional, but a need for sexual gratification.
When you are in a relationship with a grandiose narcissist, you’ll be deprived of mutual love, affection, support, or care. It is always you serving them and exhausting your mind, body, and soul. No matter how loyal or dedicated you are as a life partner, they will cheat on you to fulfill their need for admiration, excitement, and novelty.
Now that you have understood what are the 9 traits of narcissism, there is something more you need to know. Female narcissists do exist! However, a narcissistic personality disorder is more outwardly recognizable in men.
Are male and female narcissists different?
Although the 9 traits of narcissism mentioned above are found in both men and women, there are differences in their way of exhibiting narcissism. Check out the differences between the traits of a narcissist man and a woman.
1. A narcissistic man tries to gain control over you by utilizing his power and status, whereas a narcissistic woman tries to control you by utilizing neglect or guilt.
2. When angry, male narcissists (or malignant narcissists to be specific) – exhibit aggressiveness, whereas female narcissists tend to punish the victim by withholding affection and attention.
3. The narcissistic supply for the male narcissists are their romantic partners and for female narcissists, it can be their partner or children
Other than the 9 traits of narcissism, there are some more traits of a narcissistic female personality that you should know (if you want to avoid dating or dealing with them for any purpose).
Here’re are some glaring traits of a narcissist woman:
- She is overly concerned about her looks
- She is materialistic
- She is extremely competitive with her friends
- She can create conflicts among friends within a group
- She feels pleasure from hurting others
- She never respects boundaries of her relationships
- Her love for you can turn into hatred in no time
- She demands special treatment even if that comes at the cost of others
- A female narcissist is often jealous and thinks everyone is envious of her
- She is overly sensitive to perceived criticism
- She is a drama queen and her behavior is unstable
- She can come across as a martyr or a virtuous victim.
I hope you have got a clear understanding of what are the traits of a narcissist and how a narcissistic man and woman differ. If this article helps you spot a narcissist in your social circle, let us know in the comments below. And please share this article with your dear ones.
Spread awareness about the nine traits of narcissism! Save the society!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to spot a narcissist on social media?
You can easily spot a narcissist on social media. Narcissists are highly active on different social media platforms. Even though they have weak ties, they will have thousands of friends and followers. Plus, glamorous selfies to post from all over the world. And, mostly their content is self-promoting with words like “I” and “Me”.
Is emotional neglect narcissism?
Yes. Emotional neglect and an unrealistic sense of superiority are core character traits of a narcissist.
Why would a narcissist tell me I have a terrible personality?
Narcissists believe they are unique, superior, and more important than anyone else in this world. In the quest to boost their poor self-esteem, they will make you feel worse. It helps them hide their own flaws and gain control over you.
What are the 4 types of narcissism?
The different types of narcissists are – Malignant narcissist, Grandiose narcissist, covert narcissist, and communal narcissist.