So if you want someone to be interested in you or hold their attention, then don’t give away everything about you or your work. End your presentation with a hook or a cliffhanger.
Media anthropologist and author Dr. Thomas de Zengotita claims that all of us look for empathy and validation from others. It is one of our basic emotional needs. Dr. Zengotita says “All mammals want attention. Only human beings need acknowledgment.” When you can validate and contribute to your target audience’s sense of identity, you will capture their undivided attention. By developing a sense of community with your audience and recognizing them you can attract their attention.
Parr believes that the key to grabbing someone’s attention is “a sense of belonging to a community that cares about us. Create that feeling for anyone whose attention you’d like to capture, and they’ll repay you.”
But that’s not all!
Things to remember
There are a few more things you need to keep in mind if you want to master the art of capturing attention. Whether you are a creator or a business owner or just an average guy, here are some other ways you can attract attention from people:
- Offer value to your target audience. Attention is valuable so you need to offer a return on their investment.
- Convince your audience that you care about them. It’s not about the business. But it’s about them. People can sense if you care about them or care about what they have to offer you. If you care about them they will care about you.
- Deliver on your promise. It’s one thing to attract attention, but holding attention is a completely different game. When you can keep your end of the deal, you will be able to hold their attention longer than you can imagine.
- Show your true self. Can you imagine Apple without Steve Jobs? If you want people to give attention to your brand, then you need to show them who you really are as a human being. This will add a human element to your brand or creation and build trust.
- Be unique. If you are doing what everyone else is, why should your audience pay attention to you and not the others? Identify how you and your creation are different from others and what makes you stand out from the rest.
- Be inspiring. Why do you think motivational quotes are so popular on social media? People want to feel inspired to pursue and accomplish their dreams. When you can inspire your audience, you can easily attract attention from them.
Attract attention to succeed
Whether in business or in social life, we always strive to attract attention from others. The tips and suggestions mentioned above will help you gain a better understanding of how you can grab and hold attention from people.
Parr concludes “Understanding the science of attention is a prerequisite to success in the information age.” Once you know the science and psychology of capturing attention from people, you will be better able to develop strategies to succeed in life.
Here is an interesting video that you may find helpful: