Child abuse and neglect is a very sensitive subject that needs to be handled with care.
One can’t really associate a state like this with just bruises. There is emotional, as well as physical exploitation. Also, for a little kid to heal or recover from it, the earlier one spots the signs of it, the better it is.
What is child abuse?
There are plenty of signs that indicate child abuse and neglect, they are – ignorance of children’s needs, making them deal with dangerous, harmful situations (sexual/mental/physical) or making them feel insignificant are all the actions. And, the end result of all these is – extreme emotional trauma for a kid. Sometimes, this could be irreversible too! Thus, if you know any kid who is suffering from any kind of abuse, it is your duty to get them the right help before it is too late.
Are there any research papers and essays on this subject?
With lots of students as well as other people like sociologists, phycologists and policemen taking an interest in the subject, there are many child abuse essay topics that have been researched and written upon. One may find many quotations on child abuse, essay examples, research papers, etc. on the topics associated with it. In fact, one may even find various child abuse essay samples for free online.
It is great that students in schools, as well as colleges, are given education on such crucial subjects as well as write an essay as well as research paper on it. This is sure to make them more aware, thus, helps in building a better, more educated, and healthy social culture.
Recognizing the warning signs of child abuse
The causes of child abuse are critical and have negative end results. Thus, be responsible, keep an eye open for various warning signs, such as:
1. Emotional abuse warning signs
- Worried, fearful or anxious behavior regularly
- Extremities observed in actions – highly aggressive at times, demanding or laid back
- Less attachment is shown towards parents or guardians
2. Physical abuse warning signs
- Unexplained bruises or injuries frequently
- Vigilant/scared that is something ‘hurtful’ will happen
- Disliking/discomfort on everyone’ touch
- Tries covering up injuries with inappropriate clothing
3. Child neglect warning signs
- Bad hygiene – uncut nails, unbathed, dirty clothes, etc.
- Malnourished or obese (not naturally)
- Ill-fitted or neglected clothing
- Late or missing from school activities
4. Sexual abuse warning signs
- Has knowledge about different sexual acts inappropriate for the age
- Seductive behavior
- Tries avoiding a particular person without much visible reason
- Shies away from changing clothes or avoids touches
Child abuse prevention measures
Any individual, whether a parent of a suffering kid or not, can take certain child abuse prevention measures to protect the little one from being exploited or harmed in any way. Here are a few ways that can help prevent it:
- Treat the child with love and give him/her proper attention
It is essential to nurture them with love and attention. This would help you build a good bond with them. Thus, making it easier to share their problems with you without hesitation. Many research papers have been written that conclude that when kids feel loved, they are more comfortable in opening up.
- Be calm with children; anger can be traumatizing
In case you are angry or frustrated over something, don’t let that affect kids. Take a break or learn to monitor your annoyance. Don’t force anger upon a child.
- Make them feel supervised
Children shouldn’t be left alone. Try to involve them in different activities, volunteer at their school. Thus, keeping them connected with you.
- Teach them to say ‘no’ when necessary
Children should be taught to say ‘no’ to situations, which make them uncomfortable or are scary for them. They must learn to understand threatening situations and take a step back from them.
- Make sure they know how to stay safe online
Read different essays and understand the trauma that cybercrimes can cause to kids. Educate them about it, set some rules and keep an eye on what they are doing online.
- Know the child’s company well
Make sure that kids around you are not being bullied or ill-treated in any manner. In case you observe something like that, reach out immediately for help.