12. Pay off your debt
In case you have debt, then it should be your goal to pay it off as much as you can by the time you are 40 years old. This should definitely be one of the things that you must do and dedicate all your energy on accomplishing. “The sheer sense of relief and freedom you experience once having done so is well worth the hard work (and it often leads to other opportunities),” writes Matt Valentine.
13. Write a letter to future self
Make a time capsule and set a date in the future when you will open it. You can add different things in it for yourself and your children. And among those things should be a letter written to yourself in the future. Write about all the things you want to accomplish by that time and how you see your future self at a different point in life. And when the time comes, open your time capsule and read the letter in it. “What you read might make you nostalgic – maybe even sad – but it’ll definitely show you how much you’ve grown, and how beautiful you’ve become,” explains author Peter Economy.
14. Quit at least one bad habit
We all have our bad habits that we would like to kick. It’s not that we haven’t tried before, but somehow we could never manage to get rid of it. So now is the time that you finally did it. Make sure you kick that one bad habit before you’re forty. It could be anything – smoking, alcohol, caffeine, junk food, not exercising, not reading enough etc. However, you also need to ensure that once you get rid of your bad habit, you replace it with something more positive and healthier. It’s just one of the things to do before 40.
15. Experience more love
Whether you have already found a caring partner or yet to meet your soulmate, it is absolutely crucial that you fill your life with more love now that you are turning forty. Being in love is the best feeling you can ever experience. So go ahead and tell that special person how much you love them. Make them feel special and share more memorable moments with them.
If you are yet to meet your soulmate, then get more active on dating apps & sites and go on more dates instead of being mopey or lazy. Although you don’t need to go crazy over finding love, being a little more active about it will take you one step closer to meeting the love of your life.
16. Make yourself happy
Although this holds true for any age you are in, loving yourself is just one of the things to do before 40. Spend more time with yourself and do things you love. Pursue your passions and put more effort into making your dreams come true, irrespective of how big they are. Prioritize yourself over other things and take steps to make yourself happier. Treat yourself. Do whatever you enjoy. Only when you are happy, you can make others happy.
40 more things to do before 40
That’s not all! There are a lot of amazing more things that you need to get done before you hit the 40-year mark. Here are 40+ things you need to do before you turn 40:
- Stop wasting your life
- Do something crazy like bungee jumping or skydiving or both
- Buy something expensive for yourself
- Gamble away in Las Vegas with your friends
- Donate to a charity you believe in
- Go on a spiritual journey to Jerusalem or Tibet or India
- Go skiing in Europe with your friends and family
- Be a hero for a stranger by helping them
- Take part in a fitness competition like a race, triathlon, or Crossfit
- Eat at a Michelin-starred gourmet restaurant
- Spend more time with your family
- Visit an art gallery and buy some art
- Travel to an unknown destination and explore the local culture
- Climb a famous mountain
- Participate in a clean-up drive
- Spend a month without the internet, social media and any other tech
- Learn to fight and take an MMA class
- Dress up and look your best always
- Visit your top 3 travel destinations
- Read at least 10 books
- Write a novel or a short story and self publish it
- Make a short film and share it online
- Attend a concert
- Learn scuba diving
- Go on an adventure by taking a road trip or visiting a national park alone
- Flirt a little. Innocent and healthy flirting will make you feel good about yourself
- Make some new friends
- Test drive a luxury car
- Learn to play a musical instrument
- Visit a world heritage site or a natural wonder
- Save money and plan your retirement
- Stop buying things you don’t need
- Apologize to someone you owe an apology to
- Forgive someone who has hurt you
- Have a successful career but define success in your own terms
- Speak in front of a large crowd
- Tell your family how much you love them
- Spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square
- Travel with your lover
- Do something you have never done before
- Live up to your own expectation, not what others expect from you
- Don’t give a damn about others’ opinions
- Have an awesome 40th birthday party
Have a hearty forty
Turning 40 is the best thing that can happen to you right now. It’s not that you’re getting older, you’re only getting more mature. You still have a lot of time in your hands to live your life and experience love and happiness. But you need to start living more intentionally and open yourself up to new possibilities. Do not hesitate or prevent yourself from experiencing something new.