Things narcissistic mothers say when they are tearing you down and devaluing you
1. You were a mistake. Everything in my life is your fault because you were born.
2. You’re just like (insert awful individual here)!
3. You’re never going to amount to anything. I don’t know whose child you are.
4. I’m so ashamed of you. You should be ashamed of yourself.
5. No one will ever love you. No one will ever want you.
6. You are worthless.
7. You’re immature.
8. You don’t deserve to be happy.
9. Just wait till your father gets home!
10. It’s a shame you don’t have any friends. People would like you more if you weren’t so ______.
11. Everyone else agrees that you’re horrible/lazy/stupid/otherwise unsavory.
Things narcissistic mothers say when they are jealous of you
1. You’re such a Polly Anna, always with your rose-colored glasses on!
2. You think you’re so pretty/smart/good
3. You’re a (insert rude term here) and you are only trying to get attention!
4. Guys only like you because you’re a (insert rude term here), or girls only like you for your money.
5. People always used to tell me I was pretty.
6. You’re ugly on the inside.
Things narcissistic mothers say when they are issuing the back-handed compliments
1. You’re so smart but you have zero common sense.
2. You would be so pretty if you just lost a few pounds
3. Your house is so clean! No wonder your two-year-old can’t read yet.
4. That dress is so pretty! It would look great on your sister.
5. I’m so proud of your accomplishment – obviously, you get it from me.
Things narcissistic mothers say when they are having delusions of grandeur
1. I am not capable of lying! How dare you accuse me of that?
2. Everyone wishes they could have a mother like me.
3. Calm down! You’re being irrational!
4. I’ll never understand how I gave birth to a horrible child like you.
5. I can’t believe you’re no good at ______. You should be successful at _______ because you’re MY child!
You may also like: