3. Inquire Of The Lord To Find Hope
In the face of devastation, David turned to inquire of the Lord for himself.
He did not ask his buddies what they thought. He did not ask the priest, and he did not complain on Facebook.
When life got hard, he went to his place of prayer.
He knew God was for him and not against him.
So, David inquired of the Lord, saying, “Shall I pursue this troop? Shall I overtake them?”
And He answered him, “Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them and without fail recover all” (1 Sam 30:8).
The key to success is to encourage yourself in God’s love, and inquire of God for strategies to move forward.
4. Believe And Obey
David believed and obeyed God’s direction and he recovered all— plus additional spoils besides.
David and his mighty warriors obtained enough spoils to share with the people who did not fight in the battle and enough to send as gifts to others.
Believe God to recover all the things in your life the enemy has stolen.
You are more than a conqueror; you get spoils besides!
Believe for enough to bless other people around you!
Believe God for the restoration of all things! Believe for things in your life to be better than they were before!
Believe God for miracles in every area of life!
Practical Steps For How To Have Hope In Hard Times:
Here are a couple of practical things that will help you have hope in the Lord.
- Remember good things from your past and be thankful. Remember how God has brought you through previous tough times. David probably thought about how God delivered him from the lion, the bear, and Goliath.
- Think about things that could have happened but didn’t. Remind yourself who your God is to you. Shake off victim mentality. Stand up on the inside. David probably poured out his soul in song. Take some time away to pour out your soul to God and praise the only One who can bring victory to your life. You can hope in the Lord!
- Think about what kinds of things bring you peace? What kinds of things keep you upset and on edge? You can learn how to recognize God’s work in your life by knowing how he shows up in your daily life. He brings peace, love, and joy. Anything else is not God. So, begin to think about the things that bring peace to your heart. Cultivate a more peaceful life. Go out into nature and take time to observe the little things. Notice God’s beauty. Be thankful. Notice the encouraging, hopeful things.
Practical Prayers For How To Have Hope In Hard Times:
Prayer doesn’t always have to be a long-drawn-out ordeal. Of course, some things require more prayer than others, but try the simple little prayer ideas below and expect your Lord to answer.
- Come before the Lord thankfully and humbly as a curious child.
- Quiet your mind of all the busy life things. Simply and quietly offer thanks and praise.
- Yield your heart to Him. Notice His sweet peaceful presence. Linger in His peace.
- Ask Him your questions. Ask for help. Ask for Hope. Ask specifically for what you need.
- Ask that His will be done on earth as it is done in Heaven.
- Ask for the grace to keep going and to face your fears.
- Ask for wisdom and strategies to go forward.
- Be quiet and aware in that moment of thoughts or pictures that spontaneously come into your mind. Take note of those things. You can always ask Him for clarification.
- It can be helpful to write those things down. If you did not feel as though God answered your questions at this moment, do not despair. He will answer your questions!
Continue to go about daily life with an expectant attitude. God uses many ways to answer our questions. He will answer one way or another, at one time or another.
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”Romans 15:13
Written by: Cynthia Johnson
Originally appeared on: Drcynthiajohnson.com
Republished with permission