1. Understand your inner self
The journey to spiritual well-being begins by understanding who you truly are – what defines you. What your values, principles, morals and beliefs are. What your purpose in life is. As we are all unique in our own way, it is crucial that we explore our inner selves and gain divine insight to find our true selves – as God intended us to be. Here are some ways you can learn more about yourself –
- Explore your personal values
- Be aware of your thoughts, emotions, needs and desires
- Note down and journal your thoughts and feelings on a daily basis
- Enjoy some alone time
- Visualize about your ideal self
- Practice self-care
- Explore & pursue your interests and passions
- Gain new experiences and learn new skills
- Ask questions to yourself, like “Who am I?” or “What is my purpose?”
- Take a personality test online (Myers-Briggs, Enneagram etc)
2. Reflect and introspect
Personal reflection and introspection can fuel your spiritual journey as you face the ups and downs of life, which are natural for each one of us. However, during your struggles and celebrations, we must remember to pause and reflect on our values, our purpose and what matters the most to us. Introspection allows us to analyze our own thoughts and behavior patterns. It can allow us to tap into the hidden messages delivered by our soul and strengthen our connection with our inner self. Not only can this help to relieve stress and anxiety, it can also help to have clarity of thoughts, gain new perspectives, make better decisions and find deeper meaning in life. Ask yourself these questions to elevate your spiritual health –
- What makes me hopeful?
- What adds purpose and meaning to my life?
- Is my work aligned with my values and goals?
- Do I express myself the way I actually want to?
- How do I react when facing challenges?
- What are my long term goals in life?
- Am I aware of how my behavior affects others emotions?
- How well do I truly connect with God?
Reflection and introspection can help to increase your self-awareness, which is linked to positive psychological well-being, according to research.
Meditation is one of the simplest and best ways to boost your spiritual wellness. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, meditation can be beneficial for everyone. A simple 10 minute daily routine of mindfulness meditation can help you be more mindful, enhance your awareness, reduce stress, anxiety and depression, and connect your inner spiritual self. Research shows that meditation can also help with spiritual healing. It is practiced by millions of people worldwide, whether they are monks or normal people trying to manage their mental health. If you are new to meditation, simply follow the following steps –
- Sit comfortably in a quiet, distraction-free place
- Bring your attention to your breath and breathe deeply
- Acknowledge the thoughts that arise and let them pass
- Every time your mind wanders, bring back your attention to your breath
- Be kind and gentle with yourself & do not try to calm your mind