4. The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
“The timeless in you is aware of life’s timelessness. And knows that yesterday is but today’s memory and tomorrow is today’s dream.”
Published in 1923 and in over 20 languages, The Prophet is considered a classic. This spiritual book includes poetic prose that is spiritual, inspirational, and philosophical in nature. The 28 chapters in the book cover a wide array of topics like happiness, sorrow, love, work, freedom, self-knowledge, passion, beauty, pleasure, good and evil, death, and religion.
Author Gary Z McGee writes “Heavily influenced by Friedrich Nietzsche, Kahlil Gibran wrote The Prophet with an Übermensch-like poetic verve. It’s a tiny book of 26 prose-poetry essays about a prophet, Almustafa, who has a candid discussion with a group of people regarding life and the human condition.”
“Nuggets of spiritual gold are woven throughout The Prophet in the form of a wise man sharing his teachings with the townspeople about life,” adds Ashton.
5. The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
Published in 1997, this spiritual book has sold over 3 million copies in the US and has been translated into thirty-three languages. Recommended by Oprah Winfrey, The Power of Now is an excellent book that will help you navigate through the everyday stress of life and empower you to be more mindful. By showing us the value of the present moment, Tolle takes us on a motivating spiritual journey towards self-development and exploration of the self.
Eckhart Tolle writes “Don’t read with the mind only. Watch out for any “feeling-response as you read and a sense of recognition from deep within. I cannot tell you any spiritual truth that deep within you don’t know already. All I can do is remind you of what you have forgotten. Living knowledge, ancient and yet ever new, is then activated and released from within every cell of your body.”
Author Ashton August explains “As a yoga instructor, I am often asked which book I recommend to someone newly beginning his or her personal journey inward. The Power of Now is my answer to that. But whether you’re just beginning, or well on your path, this spiritual book captivates your soul through speaking in simple truths.”
Here are 26 more spiritual books that every spiritual seeker must read as recommended by Carol Kuruvilla, associate editor of HuffPost:
- The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster
- The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories, by Marina Keegan
- Sophie’s World, by Jostein Gaarder
- Thirst: Poems, by Mary Oliver
- Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life From Dear Sugar, by Cheryl Strayed
- The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion
- The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
- The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant
- Mortality, by Christopher Hitchens
- The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy
- Mother Night, by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young
- The Dude and the Zen Master, by Jeff Bridges and Bernie Glassman
- How Should a Person Be?, by Sheila Heti
- The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are, by Alan Watts
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, by Marjane Satrapi
- The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells
- The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow
- Letters to a Young Poet, by Rainer Maria Rilke
- Long Day’s Journey into Night, by Eugene O’Neill
- Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramahansa Yogananda
- A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life, by Santideva
- A Gift of Love: Sermons from Strength to Love and Other Preachings, by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Man’s Search for Meaning, by Viktor E. Frankl
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, by Brené Brown
Although the books mentioned here are highly helpful, insightful, and valuable, there are many other books out there that can make your spiritual journey more fulfilling.
Awaken your spirituality
A good book can fill your mind and heart with wonder and make your life a lot more meaningful and satisfying. Now that you know which particular spiritual books you need to read to start your journey of self-discovery and self-awareness, it’s time to go get these books and start reading.
Here is an interesting video that you may find helpful: