Some adult children of addicted parents refuse to talk on the phone or be around them when their parents are drinking our using drugs. You may have siblings who pressure you to rescue a parent, or you may be tempted to do so. With difficult family situations, it’s helpful to talk with a therapist or other people in recovery from codependency.
Some Truths about Having Toxic Parents
Healing a relationship begins with you — your feelings and attitudes. Sometimes working on yourself is all it takes. That doesn’t imply that your parents will change, but you will. Sometimes forgiveness is necessary or a conversation is required.
Here are some things to think about when it comes to your family:*
1. Your parents don’t have to heal for you to get well.
2. Cut-offs don’t heal.
3. You are not your parents.
4. You’re not the abusive things they say about you either.
5. You don’t have to like your parents, but you might still be attached and love them.
6. Active addiction or abuse by a parent may trigger you. Set boundaries and practice non-attachment.
7. You can’t change or rescue family members.
8. Indifference, not hatred or anger, is the opposite of love.
9. Hating someone interferes with loving yourself.
10. Unresolved anger and resentment hurt you.
What You Can Do?
Start therapy and attend CoDA, ACoA, or Al-Anon meetings. Learn to identify abuse and manipulation. Learn How to Raise Your Self-Esteem and heal shame and childhood trauma.
Have a support network, and become financially independent from your parents. Do the exercises in my ebook, How To Speak Your Mind – Become Assertive and Set Limits and webinar, How to Be Assertive.
With abusive and difficult parents, my ebook, Dealing with a Narcissist: 8 Steps to Raise Self-Esteem and Set Boundaries with Difficult People lays out particular and specific strategies for confronting bad behavior with highly defensive people.
©Darlene Lancer 2018
* Adapted from Codependency for Dummies 2nd Ed. 2014, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.mail?
You may also like
- 13 Signs Of A Toxic Parent That Many People Don’t Realize
- 20 Ways To Tell Whether You Have A Parent As A Toxic Force In Your Life
- 8 Toxic Things Parents Do That Keep Their Children From Being Successful
- 10 Do’s and Don’ts To Keep Your Parenting Healthy and Non Toxic
- 13 Signs You’re Suffering From Toxic Family Enmeshment