Ever feel used, abused and confused? It may be that you are suffering from “Boundaryitis”.
We are 100% responsible for teaching people how to treat us. The only way we can do that is by:
- Clarifying our boundaries by doing our own internal work
- Expressing our boundaries when necessary, or in some cases, before they are necessary, to the people in our lives
- Maintaining our boundaries consistently by moving away from those who demonstrate their unwillingness to respect them.
You are the only person who can do those three things. If you don’t do them, you have to take responsibility for allowing–or maybe even inviting–folks to walk over you!
Work on your boundaries today. If you are unsure about how to go about that, work with professionals to help you clarify your boundaries. It’s VERY important to your well-being and the health of your relationships.
Written by Rhoberta Shaler, PhD
Originally appeared on Forrelationship.com
The Relationship Help Doctor
Relationship Consultant. Mediator. Speaker.
Urgent & Ongoing Care for Relationships in Crisis…including the one with yourself.
You may also like:
- The Art of Setting Boundaries
- Getting Triggered And What You Can Do About It
- 5 Life Changing Habits That Will Build Your Self- Esteem
- 10 Great Things That Happen When You Set Boundaries