However, you do not need a music therapist to enjoy the positive and soothing effects of relaxing songs. You simply need to listen to the right songs for anxiety and depression to start feeling better immediately.
So what songs can help with your mental health issues?
Heal with music therapy. Read Music Therapy for depression – how can it heal you?
Songs for anxiety & depression you need to listen
- All of the Stars – Ed Sheeran
- Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
- Born This Way – Lady Gaga
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
- FireFly – Ed Sheeran
- Fooling Yourself – Styx
- GIRL – Maren Morris
- Grand Illusion – Styx
- He Will Hold Me Fast – Keith & Kristyn Getty
- Hero – Mariah Carey
- Higher Power – Boston
- I’m Alive – Kenny Chesney (with Dave Matthews)
- Inner Demons – Julia Brennan
- Its Going to Be Alright -The Ramones
- I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
- I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Healing Meditation – Angus Woodhead
- Only Time – Enya
- Not Dead Yet – Styx
- Seasons of Love – Rent
- Somewhere in Time – John Barry
- This is It – Kenny Loggins
- Unwell – Matchbox Twenty
- When the Seasons Change – Five Finger Death Punch
- Wonder – Natalie Merchant
- You Raise Me Up – Josh Groban
Here are 10 more songs that can not only help you with your anxiety and depression, but also soothe your nervous system and touch your soul.
- We Can Fly – Rue du Soleil (Café Del Mar)
- Canzonetta Sull’aria – Mozart
- Someone Like You – Adele
- Pure Shores – All Saints
- Please Don’t Go – Barcelona
- Strawberry Swing – Coldplay
- Watermark – Enya
- Mellomaniac (Chill Out Mix) – by DJ Shah
- Electra – by Airstream
- Weightless – Marconi Union
The last song in the list above, Weightless by Marconi Union has been found to reduce overall anxiety by 65% and reduce the physiological resting rate by 35%, according to researchers.
Dr. David Lewis-Hodgson of Mindlab International found that it resulted in the highest “state of relaxation than any other music tested to date.”
As the song “Weightless” can make you feel very relaxed and maybe even drowsy, it is advised to avoid listening to this track while driving, lifting weights or operating heavy machinery.
Why is ‘Weightless’ one of the most relaxing songs? Read Listening To This Song Reduces Your Anxiety by 65%
Music is all around us
Most of us love listening to music. Whether at home or work, during our daily commute or while at the gym, we can listen to music anywhere, anytime. Whether you are plugged in to your smartphone or listening to the car radio or your home stereo or on TV, listening to our favorite relaxing songs lifts our moods and makes us feel better almost instantly.
Listening to music and songs is definitely fun, especially when it can help to enhance our mental health and well being. Music can evoke different emotions and certain songs can help us feel happy, calm and peaceful. Songs for anxiety have the power to influence our emotions, thoughts and moods, especially when we are feeling angry, stressed, anxious, lonely or feeling really down. Such is the power of music.
Can you feel the music? Read If Music Gives You Goosebumps, Your Brain Might Be Special
Understanding stress, anxiety & depression
According to facts released by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), “Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year.” Although it is “highly treatable” only 36.9% of sufferers get treatment.