Understand, the sole purpose of his hostile, disparaging humor is to victimize, belittle and insult you. If you don’t react to his ridicule, he will not be able to control, dominate and power over you.
How to react to verbal abuse disguised as jokes.
– Don’t get drawn into his attempt to put you down. Don’t acknowledge his excuses. Do NOT get into a debate with him.
– Tell him emphatically, you don’t appreciate being the butt of his humor and you want him to you stop it—don’t stick around for his reply.
– Tell him, “Do you feel better now?” and leave the room.
– Ignore him and pick up your phone and call a friend or take a walk.
Get the picture?
Chances are your abusive partner will ever change, but you can change the way you react to his verbal abuse.
Written by Nancy Nichols
This article Originally appeared on KnowitAllNancy
You May Also Like:
- The Signs of Verbal Abuse
- 7 Ways To Deal With Verbally Aggressive People
- It Isn’t Love – It Is Narcissistic Abuse
- Identifying Emotional Abuse before it Happens.
- Four Abusive Behaviors That Are NOT Physical
- 7 Signs You’ve Arrived as a Survivor of Narcissistic Abuse