It is often helpful to consult a therapist to work through the original trauma. Useful techniques for clearing trauma include EMDR, the Emotional Freedom tapping technique (EFT) and somatic awareness.
Since trauma often lodges in the body it’s also useful to get regular massage or energy work to clear any remnants that are hanging on.
Give yourself time to heal. Be patient and loving with yourself. Mourn the losses you experience. Allow yourself to experience your feelings and memories without any judgement. Healing is an exercise in loving yourself.
The great news is that past trauma can be healed. In that process, you will become more at ease with your empathic abilities and learn to protect your sensitivities using the strategies I suggested. As a result, you’ll be able to relax more. The world will feel like a safer place to inhabit.
S E T Y O U R I N T E N T I O N
I will identify my early traumas. I will notice how my reactions to them may be repeating in my relationships today. I am capable of healing from these wounds.
(Adapted from “Thriving as an Empath: 365 Days of Self-Care for Sensitive People” and “The Empath’s Empowerment Journal” by Judith Orloff, MD)
You may also like:
- PTSD is a Thing After Life with a Sociopath
- PTSD. From Surviving to Thriving
- Which Direction is Your Recovery Facing? Recovery from Relationships With Narcissists, Anti-Socials and Psychopaths
- Recovery From Abusive Relationships. How Long Does It Take?
- Complex-PTSD: Recovery In Psychotherapy For Survivors Of Narcissistic Abuse