Emotional Manipulation Tactics –
• Moving goalposts – When the criteria shift which have to be met to satisfy the person.
• Generalization – When extreme terms are used to accuse someone of certain behavior.
• Changing the subject – When a person deflects/ changes the subject when behavior is addressed.
• Gaslighting – When a person makes the victim doubt their understanding of reality.
• Passive-aggression – When indirectly negative feelings are expressed instead of talking about it.
• Lying/denial – When someone is lying to cover up the truth they can manipulate feelings.
• Targeting insecurity – When they zoom in on a person’s insecurities making them feel bad.
• Ignoring – When a person ignores the other it is impossible to connect properly.
• Conspiring – When a person gangs up with other people to manipulate someone.
• Evoking fear – When a person plays on another person’s fears to get what they want.
• Stereotyping – When a person dismisses someone as a result of stereotyping (like gender).
• Emotional abuse – When a person misuses emotional connection to manipulate others.