How To Cope If You Have Anxious Attachment Style?
- Evaluate how your partner’s attachment style is influencing your anxiety issues
- Come out of the toxic patterns of the past and decide how you want to deal with your relationships in a healthy way
- Find a counselor or therapist who can help you navigate your emotions
- Try couple therapy or family therapy
- Educate yourself on anxious attachment style and coping strategies
- Identify people who can be triggering your attachment issues
- Practice journaling and write down your fears and anxious thoughts
How To Prevent Anxious Attachment?
If you are an adult with anxious attachment:
- Communicate your needs clearly
- Know what you want and be ready to walk away when your needs are not met
- Have a healthy self-esteem
If you are a parent or caregiver:
- Be attentive to the needs of your child
- Be prompt and address their distress
- Be nurturing and caring so that your child can learn to be secure in a relationship
How To Treat Anxious Attachment Style?
You can treat anxious attachment style issues through any of the below-given options:
1. Interpersonal Therapy
A therapist helps to identify problem areas in interpersonal relationships and suggests strategic ways to overcome them.
2. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Through this certain type of therapy, people learn to regulate their negative thought patterns and view relationships from a more empowered and aware perspective.
Certain medications have often been helpful to treat both anxious attachment style disorder and anxiety issues. Please consult with a medical health professional for the right treatment.
Anxious Attachment Style And Mental Health
According to a study, people with anxious attachment are at greater risk of developing anxiety disorders. Research suggests childhood emotional neglect and adverse childhood experiences are linked with anxiety and depression in adult life.
A Final Word
Hopefully, our comprehensive article on Anxious Attachment Style will resolve all your burning questions on the topic. We have covered everything from how anxious attachment develops, to dating with an anxious attachment style, and how to fix anxious attachment style. Let us know if you found these insights and tips to be helpful.
Are you interested to know what is your attachment style at your workplace? Take our attachment style quiz to know!
Simpson, J.A. and Rholes, W.S., 2012. Adult attachment orientations, stress, and romantic relationships. In Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 45, pp. 279-328). Academic Press.
McCarthy, G. and Taylor, A., 1999. Avoidant/ambivalent attachment style as a mediator between abusive childhood experiences and adult relationship difficulties. The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 40(3), pp.465-477.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are certain children at increased risk of anxious attachment?
Yes, adverse childhood experiences, such as separation from a primary caregiver, physical/ emotional/ sexual abuse, neglect, etc., may result in some kids being at a greater risk of anxious attachment.
Can two anxious attachment styles work?
If two people with anxious attachment styles can communicate their feelings with each other and are aware of their attachment issues, they can have a successful relationship.
How to love someone with an anxious attachment style?
Pay attention to their emotional needs, constantly assure them that you care for them, and encourage them to be more self-aware about their anxious feelings.
Can anxious attachment styles be friends with the opposite sex?
If someone with an anxious attachment style can be upfront about their emotional needs and respect healthy boundaries, they sure can be friends with people of the opposite sex.
Do I have an Anxious Attachment Style?
If you believe you have unhealthy attachment patterns, it is advisable to see a therapist or a mental health professional for a proper diagnosis.