d. After a couple of exchanges, the tree will get the idea and begin to cooperate with you. In a little while you will be fully back in your own body and ready for the closing.
e. To disengage from a powerful circulation pattern, gradually focus your attention on the navel area, the place to end the meditation. As the energy collects there, allow any excess to flow into the tree.
f. If the tree tries to feed you energy from another point, push back at this flow in the manner described above.
g. Eventually the pattern will cease, and you will be sharing energy with the tree at the selected point. Now you can sort out what energy belongs to you and what belongs to the tree to complete the drawing back.
h. When you are very deep into communion with a tree, you will probably have “too far to go” to draw back in one step. Instead, after a partial drawing and holding back, resume circulating and sharing, but in a less intense manner. Gradually, after several of these steps, you will some wholly back to yourself.
9. Closing. Always end with a closing. The closing is a precise and somewhat abrupt gesture which breaks the connection, locks into place any healing that may have occurred, and imparts a feeling of good will, all within a second or two. The closing may be a movement, a sound, or just a change in the subtle energy field, such as the clap of the hands, or a nod of the head. A smooth movement of a fist in an upward arc, ending with a little downward punch is very effective. The sounds “Ho” or “Amen” used to end prayers are also examples of closing gestures. So is a firm handshake, or a little squeeze at the end of a hug. Follow this with a little wave of the hand, or a quick kiss on the trunk to complete your closing.
Sections (7), (8), and (9) above are used to intensify, slow down, and end the exercises below and can be used at any time to end your communication with your selected tree.
b. Use the Fingers to Absorb Yang Energy to Help Balance the Yin Energy (Figure 2-29)
1. Stand approximately one to two feet in front of a tree. Move slowly and smoothly, gradually approaching the tree. Feel the field of energy surrounding you become thick like honey.
2. Extend your arms out toward the tree with your palms facing the tree and your fingers extended.
3. As you slowly adjust your position to be closer and closer to the tree, less “honey” separates you from the bright energies found at its core.
4. Similarly, your own radiance is revealed to the tree.
5. At the same time the honey-like energy surrounding you acts like a protective cocoon, and your awareness of the outside world fades. As you arrive at the tree and wrap yourself around it in a big hug, your radiant energies link up with each other and you may lose yourself for a few moments in the bliss of union.