9) Isolation and social withdrawal
Nervous breakdown or depression can make a person lose interest in the activities that he used to enjoy earlier.
He may stop talking to friends or family and skip social events and gatherings, confining himself to his home.
10) Maintaining poor personal hygiene
Nervous breakdown can seriously impact a person’s ability to do even routine tasks like brushing teeth or taking shower.
He may start neglecting his personal hygiene and may not pay any attention to his appearance or looks.
This is a very alarming symptom of Nervous breakdown if a person is not able to keep up with his daily personal hygiene and housekeeping tasks.
11) Feeling helpless or hopeless
A nervous breakdown is often accompanied by depressive symptoms, such as helplessness, hopelessness, sadness, loss of interest in normal activities and thoughts of suicide or self-harm.
Risk factors that can contribute to the nervous breakdown
A person may be at a risk of the nervous breakdown when stress becomes too much for them to handle. It can be caused by any life event like:
• Stressful working conditions
• any traumatic event, such as a death in the family or loss of a loved one
• the financial crisis such as serious debt or loss of job
• poor sleeping, eating and exercising habits
• recent injury or illness diagnosis
If you can relate to any of the above mentioned symptoms or feel you are on the verge of a breakdown, follow these strategies for managing your symptoms:
• Talk therapy (Counseling )or cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
• Prescriptions medicines like antidepressants or anti anxiety medication can be used to treat chemical imbalances
• Holistic e treatments, such as massage, ayurveda or yoga
• Practice meditation and deep breathing
• Cut caffeine, nicotine and alcohol from your diet
• Develop a sleep schedule and routine that will help you sleep well. That can include taking a warm bath; meditation, reading a book before bed.
Become a Contributor at The Minds Journal
Written by Darlene Lancer JD, MFT
You may also like
- 6 Signs You Are Under More Stress Than You Can Handle
- 8 Self Soothing Techniques to Reduce Stress
- Meditation and Yoga Can “Reverse” DNA Reactions Which Cause Stress, New Study Suggests
- Press This Button On Your Body To Help Relieve Your Stress And Anxiety